Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

SpyPoint Cell Link Question..

Fletch

Supporting Member
I gave up on mine they just got too expensive... I’m trying the covert system... wait till they update the firmware and don’t tell you and you ha e to make a run to fix everything
Yeh.... I'm thinking I wasted $60.00....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Yeh.... I'm thinking I wasted $60.00....
Maybe. I know k have 6 or 7 of them that work pretty good till they fall off the Cliff battery wise... even lithium had issue ... I’m selling all of mine. You can get an antenna booster off of Amazon that’s cheaper than the SPYPOINT one.. there is a reason they are selling a battery bank that replaces the battery rack.

Stressless

Keene, OH
They make a booster antenna... I have no experience with it. Reviews seem to be favorable.

LoL. Another one that I wrote and posted while the answer got posted... for the power cell cams suck more. The diagram I put up, thats the configuration I've found works for both the cell link and trail cam off one decent sized solar/battery package. So far so good 👍

Fletch

Supporting Member
They make a booster antenna... I have no experience with it. Reviews seem to be favorable.

LoL. Another one that I wrote and posted while the answer got posted... for the power cell cams suck more. The diagram I put up, thats the configuration I've found works for both the cell link and trail cam off one decent sized solar/battery package. So far so good 👍

Thanks..... Much appreciated, but I'm not investing that much for something that may work....

Reactions: Stressless

Fletch

Supporting Member
Well went and checked my setup... Got home and viewed micro sd card that is in cell link... Card had pics of me and one of my friends... So that rules out any bad connections from camera to cell link... Has to be no signal there... I didn't play around with it as it was raining pretty good...

Attachments

• PXL_20210324_181846278.jpg
    PXL_20210324_181846278.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: Big_Holla

Stressless

Keene, OH
So I called SpyPoint and was shocked I got a live person on the other end within 2 rings... And she spoke English and was very helpful... She checked my link and said firmware was outdated and she then updated it for me... She said that may help but it might be in an area with a weak signal... She said move it to somewhere with a better signal... DUH... I want to take pics where it's at... Not interested in 10
Miles down the road...

from a long time commo - how did she update it "wirelessly" if it can't connect to the server?:unsure: Have you rx a status update with the new firmware applied since she stated it was applied?

Two COA's
- lack of signal strength - no comms = no picture sending
- old firmware = no picture sending

Either or both of the COA's will keep the taken picture from sending.

I had the 1.0.1 firmware and it was taking pics but not sending.

Current firmware 1.05.02-5
1616611311062.png

status update with new firmware ....
1616611012042.png

OBTW -- COOL bear picture! Cool critters but having a 200# 'racoon' running around getting into things is PITA.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Stress less I thought the same thing... How did she update if it wasn't connecting??? That raccoon is a small one.. I've got numerous ones around 650-700 lbs... Makes you wonder when in there in the dark... And we can't carry in Jersey....

Attachments

• PXL_20201014_235530960.jpg
    PXL_20201014_235530960.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 60

Fletch

Supporting Member
So... I sent back the AT&T version for a refund... Saw yesterday where Tractor Supply had the Verizon version for $36... So I bought it and will try it as my cell phone had one bar of service there Fri. If it don't work there I will return it...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Then there is that 4g to 5g obsolescence thingy... I love the concept though.
Concept is fantastic.... But the product is iffy... Customer service is horrible... I have Spartan cell cams out in Illinois and they never skip a beat....Only bought the SpyPoint cause if it walks I don't lose much $$$... And here in Jersey they have a tendency to grow legs...

Stressless

Keene, OH
FYSA: SPYPOINT Cell Link potential buyers or owners...

Spypoint's CellLink "business" plan details effects of the photo transmission plan.

Example:
- CellLink connected to trialcam where you'll get ~300 pics / month
- You're tryin' save $ and use their FREE 100 photo transmissions a month (like me)
- Month 1, say it's May, CellLink Photo Transmission plan starts on 2 May (FREE 100 runs per month)
- TrailCam connected to CellLink takes 300 pics 1 May to 1 June - it Sends the first 100, then buffers( holds on the mini SD card) 200.

- 2 Jun cheap me thinks I'll get the first 100 pics the trailcam takes and get intell in June for FREE.... (not so much) I "don't care about the 200 pics from May in the mini-SD card buffer.
- 2 Jun Cell Link wakes up, sends pics 101-200 from May and is done sending the free 100 pics every month.
- 2 Jun - 2 Jul TrailCam connected to CellLink takes pics 301-600. Pics 201 - 600 now in the mini-SD card buffer..
- 3 Jul CellLink wakes up, sends mini-SD buffered pics 201-300, checks the box for sending FREE 100 pics a month and shuts TX until Aug 2....

Workarounds :
- Physically go to the camera/celllink location, pull the mini-SD card and clear it (remove the stored buffered pics) then you'll get the NEXT pics it takes IF your FREE 100 pics/month counter is < 100. At 100 - TX shuts down and they're buffered again
- Buy a subscription plan per Cell Link to have it send the buffered mini-SD pics, effectively doing the same thing as pulling the mini-SD card except it doesn't erase them - just checks them off as sent.

- There is no OTA (Over the Air) format option - to just clear the previous taken (sent or unsent) stored pics on the mini-SD card (I believe this is the point of the SpyPoint business case. You MUST buy $ the subscription or physically pull the card.

During the season (Turkey and WTD) I buy the unlimited and it's not an issue, I use them for SA and / or security so they're not "free" or effective if you have them in an area you phyisacally can't or don't want to enter and that location will get more than 100 pics/month.

Last edited: