Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

SpyPoint Cell Link Question..

Fletch

Supporting Member
So I got a AT&T SpyPoint Cell Link and put it out.... First off I put new Duracells in it and upon getting home it said battery power was 77%... Thought that was strange... Cell service says it's at 50%... On the way out I walked in front off cam... Didn't get instant notification of a pic, but I figured it's cause my Verizon service sucks there.. Got home and nothing...So has anyone ever had a similar issue???

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A couple things... 1 - sometimes they don’t send the pic(s) instantly... not sure if because of cell service or the software or what... just nature of the beast. Usually they’re pretty good though. 2 - don’t waste your money running regular alkaline batteries in a cell camera. Pony up and use Energizer Ultimate Lithium’s or an equivalent lithium battery. 3 - check the firmware version of your camera. If it’s new, chances are it has an old version on it that needs to be updated. See the support page on Spypoints website for firmware info and instructions.

Reactions: Spencie

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
Do yourself a favor, return the spypoint and go buy a stealth cam fusion. Very similar in price point and a much better camera IMO. I had nothing but problems with my spy points and have since made my way back to stealth cam and browning.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Thanks.... Planned on getting lithiums but store was out of them...Tomorrow I'll check the firmware out on their web site... Where it's at any cell phone reception sucks that's why I bought the cell link, if it doesn't work I'm not out that much....

Reactions: jagermeister

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
check firmware i bought one and it needed updated and it was brand new. also make a notch in the door so when you shut it, it doesnt pull the card out or cut he cord. i fought with mine for awhile before i got it to work decent.

Fletch

Supporting Member
check firmware i bought one and it needed updated and it was brand new. also make a notch in the door so when you shut it, it doesnt pull the card out or cut he cord. i fought with mine for awhile before i got it to work decent.
Bigten05, we think alike, I took a file and using the files edge I filed a small notch in bottom of door for exact reason you mentioned... I also put a piece of tape on cord inside cam so card wouldn't move.... Strange thing is I tested camera at home where signal is less than current spot... Also had batteries in it that were used... Walked in front of it and it took pic and sent it to my phone... Very puzzling... Calling SpyPoint shortly, although most say their customer support sucks big time.... Then taking new lithium batteries and another camera in to try...

Reactions: Stressless

Stressless

Keene, OH
Running 5 cell links with Browning Dark Ops.

- @bigten05 is on the money when "everything is right" but the firmware isn't, it doesn't send.
- I don't leave the camera setup unless it sends me a "instant pic" after power up and connected to the camera
- Check the sd card cable into the camera - if it gets tugged when closing it sometimes unseats the sd card and - no picture so no send
- Check the "Plan" if you're running the 100 free a month and its at 100 - the pic goes to the micro sd in the cell link but doesn't send

Good luck - there's a bunch of cell cams out now, they all have a business plan to get into wallet, the spypoint 100 free a month is the least cost overall and you get native trail cam pic on the sdmicro card, everyone that I've looked at is tradeoff. I'll bump my plan up unlimited for Month to Month about 5 Apr for turkey season and won't send another dime on "getting pics" until Oct.

I run lithium in the camera and cell link and have them both connected to a 12v/6v solar charger - never change the batteries.

solar cam.JPG

Fletch

Supporting Member
I normally would check for transmission before leaving, however my cell phone with Verizon in that area has no service... Can't call out or receive calls... That's why I tried the Cell-Link with AT&T service... Going to try my Spartan camera with AT&T service today...

whitetailjunky3

Make sure it’s set to send for each detection. I didn’t have mine set to that at first and only got pics every 12 hours. Also like others have said make sure firmware is updated. I have 3 and love them all on different camera company’s.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Ok.... Just found out something very interesting... I went to call Spartan cameras and somehow got Trailcampro .... Gotta give them a thumbs up as they are very friendly and informative... Guy said that info I'm looking at on the SpyPoint app is not current.... That data is from Sat. when I checked it at home when the camera last connected with their server... What is displayed is from the last time it connected... Which explains why the battery strength is at 77% with new batteries installed... So for some reason it's not connecting since I put it out....

Fletch

Supporting Member
So I called SpyPoint and was shocked I got a live person on the other end within 2 rings... And she spoke English and was very helpful... She checked my link and said firmware was outdated and she then updated it for me... She said that may help but it might be in an area with a weak signal... She said move it to somewhere with a better signal... DUH... I want to take pics where it's at... Not interested in 10
Miles down the road....

Stressless

Keene, OH
Did your firmware check out as the current version? It's in the info via the 'status' on the phone app or Camera Status via webapp. (Crap lol wrote this then saw your call post to Spypoint (edit))

Something I found a couple weeks ago is when you create a "Version Update" micro sdcard to load the new version spypoint cell link firmware on it's a one time use. The camera you plug it into runs it to load the new firmware on the card - then the cell link formats the card you loaded the firwware on so you can't do multiple cameras with one updated firmware card - you need to load the firmware on each card, each time you update a camera.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Only got one camera....I should be good... I'll wait and see if I get any pics, then go tomorrow and put out regular cams....

Johnny44

My cousin-in-law (is that a thing?) has a SpyPoint. He gave me all the login info and whatnot. I had it on my phone, but it wasn't worth a damn. I still don't know if I blame him (he has some tendencies towards being worthless) or the set-up. I deleted it and just go hunt. I love trail cams, I just don't have anywhere to put them right now.

Reactions: Fletch

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Just something else to think about: The only issue I have had with my Tactacam Reveal is I wasn't using the proper SD card. It worked for a while but suddenly quit sending pics. Customer service figured out my issue and once I put in a class 10 card everything was good again. That's probably not your issue but something to consider.

Reactions: Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Just something else to think about: The only issue I have had with my Tactacam Reveal is I wasn't using the proper SD card. It worked for a while but suddenly quit sending pics. Customer service figured out my issue and once I put in a class 10 card everything was good again. That's probably not your issue but something to consider.
When I had the CS rep from SpyPoint on the phone she mentioned the SD card and I looked the card up I bought and read the specs back to her which mentioned that it was a class 10...She said perfect... Thurs. I may go put a Spartan antenna on it and see if that helps... That's if the connection is the same...

Reactions: Spencie

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I gave up on mine they just got too expensive... I’m trying the covert system... wait till they update the firmware and don’t tell you and you ha e to make a run to fix everything

Reactions: bigten05 and Fletch