Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spypoint Micro LTE cell cam

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm at it again. I bought one of these cell cams at Cabelas & it arrived yesterday. Normally they're 149.99 but they had them on sale for 99.00 & I got 15.00 off, so I couldn't pass it up. It's a very simple set up w/ minimal features that u program from ur phone. Turn it on & walk away. I didn't know this then, but it comes with a 30 day free trial period before reverting to the free 100 pic a month plan. U really need a bigger plan . Anyway, I set it out last night at a goofy angle & did manage to get a deer or two & then a few day times today where the sun probably set it off as I type this ....

PICT0036_202008061805ICGQz.jpg

PICT0021_202008060949picZE.jpg

It's a very small cam. Smaller than some phones. I think the night time pics are better, but either will do the job. Tigger speed is advertised at .05 I think & transmission time is good as well. Some places still have them at the sale price, but Cabela's jumped back up. The infrared is a glossy red, but minimal.

Last edited:

Snyder10

I have two of these and to be honest I have a huge love/hate with them. I’ve sent 4 back actually, it’s been issue after issue. One guy in here swears by them, so maybe I just have bad luck of the draw lol

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't have the micro but I've got four of the Link DARKs. They are a great tool for the toolbox, no doubt about it. Mine have functioned great over the past 2 seasons. I did have one with a cell modem that failed, but Spypoint took care of it right away.

Reactions: hickslawns

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just an update, I'm sending #5 back today...

What have your issues been? I just pulled one of mine for an issue finding signal. I think it was a loose SIM card. I'm not impressed with how well it seats in the camera. I did a thorough once over and updated the firmware last night and it fired back up without issue so far.

Snyder10

Yea make sure that SIM card "clicks" when you put it in otherwise youll get thousands of pics, or none.
My recent issue is the LEDS went out, so no flash for nighttime pics
Ive had delays in getting pics, not getting pics at all, corrupted firmware, etc. Their main "fix" is firmware upgrade or hard reset which is easy if your camera is close, but in my case its 50+ miles away so its a giant pain in the ass.

Another side note: it works well with lithium batteries, but as $15 a pack, those batteries dont last long when youre getting 100's of pictures of air lol

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe I’m the minority... Knock on wood, I’ve been running 4 spypoints for over 2 years and only had an issue with 1 of them. And SPYPOINT sent me a replacement before they even received the faulty cam. Lithium batteries are getting me 2-4 months worth of pictures. I’m very happy with them. And the new app they released a couple weeks ago is much improved over the old version.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Update on mine ..... the cell links are great. The Micro LTE - good so far. It's facing a hot sunny spot & it's taking a lot of pics on some days. I'll move it when the trial period is up. One goofy thing that happens is that I'll get a lot of notifications from time to time on my phone, but no new pics.

twireman

Kingston, OH
Picked one up today. Plan is to leave the 2 coverts at moms and I can bounce this one between my in-laws and another property. Fingers crossed I didn’t get a lemon... anyone using rechargeable batteries? Instructions say not to but that is all we have ran in coverts for over 5 years...