Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Doggin' 2018

Jamie

Ohio
CZ Scout. it's a small bolt action rifle. perfect for kids, midgets or anyone with midget arms. extremely accurate for a production rifle with no embellishments.

Reactions: giles

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
CZ Scout. it's a small bolt action rifle. perfect for kids, midgets or anyone with midget arms. extremely accurate for a production rifle with no embellishments.
My brother has a CZ also, not the scout but it is an accurate gun....

Jamie

Ohio
was another beauty of a day to be in the woods with the dogs, but a woefully mediocre day of squirrel hunting. Slick got four, Lefty two. one of Slicks timbered out to three different trees before bailing out to the ground. after a short chase on the ground, rat found a hole. another one of Slicks found refuge in a three way fork surrounded by a bunch of vines. I could have shot this one, and even tried shaking it out by shaking the vines, but rat was steadfast in his hiding place, and it would have very likely never made it to the ground. left that one behind.

I walked dogs across a picked cornfield into another woods and sent them off. within less than a minute they split treed about 100 yards apart. this is the first time they have legitimately split treed and both had a squirrel. quite pleased to see that. both of those rats got a 40 gr LRN headache. lots of dens today. rats did not seem to be on the go much today despite the pleasant weather. four came home with us, two got away.

12-18-18.jpg

Slick 32
Lefty 26

Jamie

Ohio
heavy frost here today, just like yesterday. I started later yesterday and today, waiting long enough for sun to get up and melt the frost. didn't matter either day. todays hunt was like a big vacuum cleaner. all it did was suck even though I went to a couple of my better spots. Slick treed two, Lefty treed one that I could verify. I went to no less than 30 dens today. is all I did all day as the dogs worked hard. Only fired rifle one time, on the first rat Slick treed. the other one he got was stuffed in a crotch super tight and after trying to scare him out unsuccessfully, I gave up. the one Lefty treed timbered out, ran to the ground up another tree, timbered out through three or four trees and into a hole. dogs had some fun with that one. nothing I could do but watch and hope rat stops long enough for a shot before finding a hole, which it did not. saw several other squirrels today that dogs did not tree, but they were wound up tighter than banjo strings for some reason. running around like maniacs on the ground or dashing into holes in a blink. I probably walked 7-8 miles today, and the dogs ran their asses off. rats got the better of us today despite what was a valiant effort on the dogs part. only one got shot at, and it got a eye full of lead. dogs have had three big days in a row and they need a rest. we's all purty whooped. I'm taking down a bunch of stands tomorrow and relocating a couple to get set up for some late season bow and arrah hunting ahead of this rain.

Slick 34
Lefty 27

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
5 hours
4.3 miles
24 flights of stairs equivalent
2 grays
1 black
4 fox
Half dozen other missed opportunities with one making a hole after a bad shot on my part....
I sucked at being the trigger guy today 😂
First time out and rushed some shots that missed the mark....
Had a blast but I’m whooped and going too sleep good tonight...
Buster did a great job, just wish he’d hunt slower and closer 😂😂😂 at one point he was 500 yards out from us and down a very deep holler.... Made for some long walking too get out from there....

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
that's a good day of rat chasin' right there. it sure is a whole bunch easier to spot and shoot treed squirrels when there are two or more people in the hunting party.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
that's a good day of rat chasin' right there. it sure is a whole bunch easier to spot and shoot treed squirrels when there are two or more people in the hunting party.

Amen, Dickie has a good set of binos and he can spot em pretty damn good for being 68....

First tree of the day I had a fox squirrel I was lining up on, he said that ain’t no fox that’s a gray. I said nope it’s a big fox squirrel. We were on opposite sides of the same tree. He shot and dropped the gray, I shot and dropped the fox. We were both right 😂😂😂

Jamie

Ohio
went out to Muskingum county yesterday to hunt with a buddy of mine. We covered quite a lot of quality habitat and only saw four Greys all day. they all went to Jim's skillet, but it was a very slow day. Dogs worked hard, but were on cold tracks and hitting dens all day long. Slick pegged three, Lefty one. squirrels just not very active after the early morning yesterday. we got three in the first hour and a half, only one the entire rest of the day.

Slick 37
Lefty 28

Jamie

Ohio
Just Slick and me today. Lefty still gimping a little from our hunt Saturday. rats not doing anything again today. went to two dozen dens. only saw two squirrels this morning. Slick treed one, which he did a remarkable job of staying with for as long as it took me to get there and find a shot at a very stubborn rat, but I was able to knock it out to him, eventually. the other he treed, or chased up a tree and it bailed to the ground twice. he caught it the second time it hit the ground, but was not able to hang on. squirrel got up another tree and in a hole poste haste. was a top flight performance from Slick today. he cut up those woods like a pro, but there was just not much to work with. whole lotta hunt in this dog. I love the way Slick is hunting for me.

Slick 39
Lefty 28

Jamie

Ohio
going hunting is best remedy for holiday marathon hangover. (not an actual hangover, just unwinding from eating, drinking, and spreading what little merriment I can muster for three days straight without a trip to the woods) Nancy and I headed north yesterday for the first trip to this spot this year. started a little slow, but did pick up a bit later in the morning and stayed steady until we'd had enough. dogs hunted well, but did not go to very many empty trees today. for no more barking than they did, we did plenty of shooting. I let the first one Lefty treed go since it was off of the property a ways. three on the first stop three on the second.

12-27-18.jpg

12-27-18 1.jpg

yes, Slick, you did good today, pal. :)
12-27-18 2.jpg

Slick 42
Lefty 32