Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stressless "Why do both Picture and Video captures ?" -> 153" Droptine harvest ... and more!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ruffed Grouse - 1' video. Cleaning up my phone and came across a great video. 2019, walking back from a morning bowhunting sit and I see a bird moving on the edge of the woods. I stop and slowly creep on him,,, well it's obvious (I'm not THAT good) he thinks I'm a big cow or deer or hairless monkey in camo that is solely there to kick up bugs for him to eat. We eyeball each other from like 5'-6' feet and I remember I have a phone to take a video.

This is the video and at times the phone is less than 1' from him. Great vocals on this bird - turn it up a little.

I could have reached out and tried to wring his neck for dinner but OMG he was so cute, when I walked away he stayed with me for 50-60'.
One in several million live videos I’ve ever seen! Quality of footage and the rarity of a beautiful species as the Ruffed Grouse especially here in Ohio is also astounding! That’s one video that would be very hard to beat ANYWHERE!👍🏻

Reactions: Stressless

Stressless

Keene, OH
Just a little moment of zen - Hummer's on a feeder. Oh and by the way this is the ONLY 'feed' I can leave out that trash pandas, for whatever reason, don't mess with.

Reactions: Spencie

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Just a little moment of zen - Hummer's on a feeder. Oh and by the way this is the ONLY 'feed' I can leave out that trash pandas, for whatever reason, don't mess with.

We run a couple of feeders, it’s nice too sit and watch them come and go. They do get territorial around the feeders and you see which ones are the assholes 😂😂😂

Stressless

Keene, OH
Gotcha the Eastern Hummers are very territorial - the ones we had when we lived in CO were much more 'sharing'

Learned something today - Hummers are omnivorous - had no Idea - I have this cam up full screen with sound while working on some bland work crap on the other screen - heard/saw this chap come in then quit feeding on nectar and go catch a bug in flight. First time I ever saw it - never heard about that.... I've got it on motion record so I was able to pull the vid... "well I'll be..."

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
@Stressless I've seen them chase with mixed results, the cardinals we have around here on the other hand…. They’re very accurate and catch way more then they lose from my witnessing…..

Stressless

Keene, OH
I like this one.....
20210711_192513.jpg

Stressless

Keene, OH
Got a pretty nice collection of bobcats off Greenbrier - soil was worse than I thought but fixable...

... Anyway - I think this is the result of the pair of bobcats I captured earlier this year. In that cats don't usually carry prey around unless they have a someone else to feed... this is the same area a successful litter happened in '17.

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

..a and a little hard to see but I'm 90% that's a adult and semi grown kitten bobcat...
IMG_0470.JPG

kitten.JPG

Last edited:

Stressless

Keene, OH
Hurricanes and wildlife - beamed into the farm a saw a critter that I am very familiar with down here but don't recall in my decades in TOO.

The only logical thing I can guess - besides he's eating my fish - is that he's blown way outa his home range.

I'm assuming it's a fairly rare sighting but regardless it's first of it's species on the farm.

Did some more research and it

A210901_143233_143248.264_20210901_184239.210.jpg

- Slender, long-necked with a straight, pointy bill, wearing a snazzy jacket = Anhinga.
1630862072510.png

- Shorter necked , hooked, curved and orange bill, wearing basic black = Cormorant!
1630862049113.png

1630861967267.png

1630541021337.png

If you would like to learn more about these birds visit:

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology – All About Birders: Anhinga
The Cornell Lab of Ornithology – All About Birders: Double-crested Cormorant

Thanks @Big_Holla you're spot on it's a Double-crested Cormorant

Last edited:
Grape vines are great for those mock scrapes. One thing I noticed this year though, vines I hung 2 years ago were not getting used. All the one's from last year and this year had activity. That's not to say they weren't sniffing them and maybe licking them but there wasn't scrape activity below. And there was scrape activity over under a natural branch a few feet away.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Grape vines are great for those mock scrapes. One thing I noticed this year though, vines I hung 2 years ago were not getting used. All the one's from last year and this year had activity. That's not to say they weren't sniffing them and maybe licking them but there wasn't scrape activity below. And there was scrape activity over under a natural branch a few feet away.
Maybe they are dried out and don’t hold the scent as well?

Maybe they are dried out and don’t hold the scent as well?
That is exactly what I am thinking, all dried out now. Only been doing it a lot the last 2 years so I'm thinking there is something to it. A freshly cut vine will drip for a long time and as the sap dries it kind of crystalizes on the ends. I thought maybe that was part of the attraction the first year but they continued to use most the second season.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Was texting our loose group of hunting companions after my Sunday call to mom. Beamed into camp and sent a snap and a memory, as the cypress are just showing off today, then two does come out and my guess, one is being tended by Peterman. Took a couple screen snaps. One will prolly go in the camp fridge.
Screenshot_20211114-131037_CamHi.jpg

Screenshot_20211114-131052_CamHi.jpg

One of the better campcams.

Last edited: