Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Strutters

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Went out to the farm a couple days and listened to the birds. Got a good idea where they were roosted and strutting once on the ground. Snuck back in in the middle of the day last Sunday and hung three cams. One on the field edge they were pitching into. One a little farther back in the woods about 40 yards in a small clear spot on a slight rise along the fence.. And one in the far back corner of the fence in a small clearing on the recommendation of Alex (TripleA88). The first two cams were a wash, random coons, one yote, and deer.. The one Alex recommended in the back corner was the spot. There is a cut corn field behind the cam. And the hour is 1 behind in the pics due to me not setting daylight savings.

I moved the first two empty cams down the fence in the direction they came from all 3 mornings. A slight rise on the fence where 3 overgrown logging roads come together.

See that big tree in the background... Yeah... It'll make a nice spring lazy-boy. :)

I got pics of them

4th at noon
5th at 9am
7th at 8am

It's obvious they're roosted now to the left, walking 100 yards and hung up in the fence. I have a pic of 1 lone hen that came from the right, she paid him no mind and he was strutting again 5 minutes later. But he is always looking through that fence on the right.

HUNG UP on the property line... :) The hens can come through but there isn't a good strut area on the other side.

I lowered this cam BTW.. If nothing else i should have some great pics. :)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
awesome pics joe...that sunshine in the back is nice

I was worried when setting it up because i knew the sun would rise there. But i really wanted to see down that fence. I was sure he was coming up that way. Or strutting down that way.. I think they have changed roosts since the last time i listened. They've moved into a creek bottom area to the left with big roost trees. I figured they would though. I moved two cams that direction covering the logging roads coming to this corner.... Nailing them down.. :)

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
sounds like you guys got em nailed down....good luck brother..

I really need to get to my spot sunday and listen for where they are roosting...last time the farmer counted he saw 60 on top of this hill and they come out up there everyday....

gonna throw the blind up on the fiel edge and hopefully ill get a good shot at one...

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
sounds like you guys got em nailed down....good luck brother..

I really need to get to my spot sunday and listen for where they are roosting...last time the farmer counted he saw 60 on top of this hill and they come out up there everyday....

gonna throw the blind up on the fiel edge and hopefully ill get a good shot at one...

Knock on wood they hold their pattern.. But as we know.. They can put the juke on you in a hurry...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Could be joe...if he wasnt struttin it would be easier to tell for sure

He was there for 2.5 hours yesterday and every picture i have of him he was strutting. He would disappear for about 20 minutes then come right back still strutting.. I think he is walking between two strut zones that are about 40 yards apart. I set a cam on the other one also. I'll know next Thursday if Alex and I are correct.

Alex has one nailed down dead to rights also. But we can't talk about that one until it's dead... :smiley_chicken:

according to the inlaws they are still crossing the property every morning , im pretty sure i have the roost tree locked down , im gonna try and ambush one inbetween the roost and thier feeding area , some one smacked the double beard last year , so i have to pick a new target this year , theres a 3 year old running round out there with a bumb leg , i had a chance at him last year but was waiting on the double beard to show up , this year if he steps with in range he is a dead bird

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
For 90 bucks each shipped (with gander promo code) I Love them. Does great. Good trigger speed. Great Sensitivity. (adjustable) And the batteries (6 AA) alkaline have taken about 400 pics and still show full. Quick IR glow, not that slow warm up glow. I have never gotten a single whiteout pic when switching to IR which means it switches fast.

Sensitivity.
SQUIRREL
Squirrel.jpg