Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Submarine with fins!

I had some luck this weekend, as I found a new pond with some huge carp. I'm going back, when I get some time, but this one was a tank. I have no idea what it weighs and I didn't have a measuring tape. However, the solid fiberglass arrows are full length, which is 36", so that will give you an idea as to their length.

Just the same, it was a blast! :smiley_bril:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
I caught this out at buckeye lake on sat.,while we were getting lunch at pappa boos,people were feeding ducks,well that ended up bringing in a ton of carp,I went grabbed a fishing pole and put a small circle hook on it with a french fry for bait and caught 3 carp,,,here is a pic of one of them

badger

*Supporting Member*
I had some luck this weekend, as I found a new pond with some huge carp. I'm going back, when I get some time, but this one was a tank. I have no idea what it weighs and I didn't have a measuring tape. However, the solid fiberglass arrows are full length, which is 36", so that will give you an idea as to their length.

Just the same, it was a blast! :smiley_bril:

Nice grassie! I hope the pond owner wants them removed. Most folks pay to stock them for weed control.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I was gonna say, better check and make sure it's ok to kill those monsters.

Buckmaster

Portage
My grassies cost about $ 13.00 each at 12 inches long. At two years into my stocking they are about 20 inches now.
I can't wait until they hit about 36 inch so I can try to catch one on medium action gear.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
When mine hit around the 36" we bowfish them out . They are not nearly as efficent at removing the weeds when they get big. I have three that need taken out now with 4 smaller replacements already in the pond.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
When mine hit around the 36" we bowfish them out . They are not nearly as efficent at removing the weeds when they get big. I have three that need taken out now with 4 smaller replacements already in the pond.

I put 3 of them in my pond last year....they were about 10" each. Now this year they are closer to 24" each and the bastards are eating the flowers off the top of my lily pads and eating the pads also. We caught 2 of them last year and they would fight and act crazy, jumping out of the water and running like crazy. I was told they could eat 2-3 times their body weight per day.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
It is amazing how much they eat wjhen young!! I was hauling wheelbarrows of weeds I raked out. I put 8 carp and by the end of the summer they had it clean. I think this year's batch is my 3rd or 4th in 12 years. In one of the pond management classes I took they said to get the big ones out as they do more harm than good. Their metabolism changes and they don't eat as much but still produce alot of waste that feeds more weeds and alge. If memory serves me their diet changes a some also and instead of just weeds they eat other stuff.....I don't know for sure but it gives me a good excuse to bowfish them out. lol

Buckmaster

Portage
Has anyone tried grass carp to eat? If they came from a clean pond and ate veggies all their life I wouldn't think they would be too bad tasting. Hum.....

Schu72

Streetsboro

Interesting. I always wondered why people shot them, seemed kind of counter productive.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I would rather leave them in to see how big they would get but I put too much work into taking care of the pond to do anything that might screw up the balance. Getting them is alot easier said than done. I told my son and his buddies to get them 3 weeks ago and they have yet to score. Its only 1/3 of an acre.

Buckmaster said:
Has anyone tried grass carp to eat? If they came from a clean pond and ate veggies all their life I wouldn't think they would be too bad tasting. Hum.....
Buckmaster,
Since grass carp are strict vegetarians and vegetarians are known for having gas, I would imagine eating one would give me gas too. :smiley_blink: