Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Swamp donkey

swamp_donkey819

has anyone tried the primos swamp donkey attractants, ive heard good things, im stocked up on almost everything they have even the primos red spot just wondering if anyone has ever tried it and if it works or wasting my money

swamp_donkey819

i picked all my stuff up at various sporting goods stores such as woodbury outfitters and stuff, they said its new this year to them so im not sure if bigger stores like the fin or the sportsman den has sold it already, i read a bunch of good reviews saying it works great, just wasnt sure if anyone else has tried it this past season or not but once i find a decent trail cam ill be sure to post pics and results so others know whether its good to use or not worth buying

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
keep reading up on here and I think you might find some mineral mixes you can make yourself much cheaper in the long run. Personally, I don't spend the money on products with big endorsements on the label or often times not even a picture of a deer on the label. A lot of the money being spent is just buying into their propaganda. Some corn, apples, or even peanut butter will do just as well. For what it is worth, I have only put out corn during long cold spells with snow coverings as supplemental feed. Too cheap to spend the money all year when they have plenty to eat right now. A mineral mix on the other hand, is not a bad investment in my opinion.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
keep reading up on here and I think you might find some mineral mixes you can make yourself much cheaper in the long run. Personally, I don't spend the money on products with big endorsements on the label or often times not even a picture of a deer on the label. A lot of the money being spent is just buying into their propaganda. Some corn, apples, or even peanut butter will do just as well. For what it is worth, I have only put out corn during long cold spells with snow coverings as supplemental feed. Too cheap to spend the money all year when they have plenty to eat right now. A mineral mix on the other hand, is not a bad investment in my opinion.

X2..... your paying for the brand and not the product! A simple mineral mix works just fine.... I try to stick to natrual stuff as much as possible, putting foreign substance in areas that dont produce what your putting out is a red flag for sure.

swamp_donkey819

thanks guys nevr really thought of that, ive used corn plenty of times ad had good results, along with buck jam and the deer were actually knawing n the logs and stumps trying to get more, so wasnt sure if this would work, but i never knew anything about makig my own mineral mix ill have to check into that

i picked all my stuff up at various sporting goods stores such as woodbury outfitters and stuff, they said its new this year to them so im not sure if bigger stores like the fin or the sportsman den has sold it already, i read a bunch of good reviews saying it works great, just wasnt sure if anyone else has tried it this past season or not but once i find a decent trail cam ill be sure to post pics and results so others know whether its good to use or not worth buying

Swamp donkey came out last year..Wal mart even had it..

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Another idea if you are putting this product on tree stumps. Go to tractor supply and buy a salt block or mineral block and set it on the stumps. Every time it rains, it will melt a little away and go into the tree stump. Even when there is no visible salt/mineral block there, the deer will still eat away at it.

swamp_donkey819

ill try that i just got my permission today on this huge farm so im gonna start setting the stuff out, i have a 15lb molasses stuffed mineral block that ill try that with, also some mineral syrup and granules and attractant, ill be sure to post result from how well this stuff works, im also gonna try the homemade minerals in a different spot on the farm and see how they turn out as well