Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

FYI Tapatalk.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm receiving numerous reports privately that tapatalk is aggressively promoting its use across the forum. It's doing this through banners and popups and now I have reports of members who have never used tapatak receiving emails about "discounts" to purchase the app. The only way this could have happened is Tapatalk has some way to see the email addresses of members. This cannot, and will not stand. I take everyone privacy here very seriously.

They have also done all of this invisible to me the admin as I haven't received a thing, meaning tapatalk is purposefully hiding how aggressive it is being so that I don't notice.

Two years ago I made the decision that TOO would no longer support tapatalk on the forum due to their demand of a monthly fee to stop being pests. Basic extortion practices and aggressive marketing on the forum. I decided then instead of uninstalling it I would leave it installed for as long as it worked, after last night's forum update I updated the tapatalk plugin to see if they had changed their ways. Not only have they not, but they've also gotten far more aggressive and have now crossed a privacy line.

We've worked very hard to make TOO very responsive and feature-rich for mobile browsing. With that said, Tapatalk will be completely uninstalled from the forum tonight as we cannot continue to allow our member's privacy to be eroded by a third party. It's unfortunate that it came to this as tapatalk was once a very solid platform but they have become no better than purportrators of ransomware. My apologies to our members using Tapatalk for the crappy business practices of Tapatalk, however we cannot allow our other members to be treated this way.

Please navigate to www.TheOhioOutdoors.Com as you would any other website. If you need assistance please reach out to me in my cell and I'll help you in every way that I can.

Joe.
Nine37-346-730one

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I had a banner appear across the bottom of every thread I would look at...it gave two choices:
1) taptalk
2) continue with safari
I just figured that was the new norm after the upgrades.

No that's just tapatalk being assholes. They're trying to get people to use the app so they can show them ads or have them pay to remove them. For me as the forum owner to disable that and other BS, tapatalk demands a yearly fee. It'll show up and make you hit safari every time, but if you hit tapatalk I bet you it stops asking as soon as you install their app and use it. It's blatant nag software and considered extremely bad business etiquette to program that way. They know that if they ask you a thousand times you'll eventually give in because it's easier. They think they have us forum admins over a barrel, either we let them rape and pillage and extort us, or we risk pissing off some members that use it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thanks guys. Once is bad enough but from what I've been reading today it'll be back to ask again, or switch to a persistent banner.

whitetailjunky3

Going to try to make the switch but only ever knowing Tapatalk and having a apple phone that won’t let me do push notifications is going to suck. I appreciate being a part, even tho I don’t really know any of you. Would be nice to have it on a platform again for all us guys that only know how to really use it on one. Just my opinion. I know I’m a nobody lol.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Going to try to make the switch but only ever knowing Tapatalk and having a apple phone that won’t let me do push notifications is going to suck. I appreciate being a part, even tho I don’t really know any of you. Would be nice to have it on a platform again for all us guys that only know how to really use it on one. Just my opinion. I know I’m a nobody lol.
It’s a whole new world out there buddy!!!! 😂👍🏼

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Well fugg me. I to enjoy the push notifications and ease of the app as I follow 5 other forums, mostly this one. I will have to adapt or frequent less, unless I can use the other one w ease. I’m an old dog w not much for technical skills. People my age ain’t computer people joe. Every January you do this. [emoji2373]

I understand Joe, do what’s best for your page buddy. I feel like I just got kicked in the balls over a stupid banner.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Well fugg me. I to enjoy the push notifications and ease of the app as I follow 5 other forums, mostly this one. I will have to adapt or frequent less, unless I can use the other one w ease. I’m an old dog w not much for technical skills. People my age ain’t computer people joe. Every January you do this. [emoji2373]

I understand Joe, do what’s best for your page buddy. I feel like I just got kicked in the balls over a stupid banner.
You will be surprised how easy it is on the full site. I used TAPA for like 2 weeks and deleted it. I went back to the full site and never looked back. Just give it a little time and be patient learning. You'll be just fine.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

Dude, you’re a firefighter... This ain’t shit compared too that...