Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Target buck looks injured

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Id say more like hit by a car. Id say if he feels safe he's gonna be close. But he will prolly shed his antlers early. My buddy shot a good buck last year that was injured and when he picked him up both sides fell off. A gun would do way more damage to the guts than an arrow I dont think he would make it if thats the case.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Didn’t jump him up, got confirmation that he was shot the week before gun season on the property north of me. Might walk some more today or just go to the stand

Jamie

Ohio
I'm pretty sure it is not legal unless you are law enforcement or instructed to do so by law enforcement. I know for a fact that it would not stop me from euthanizing an injured animal that was suffering and dying. I'm not sure the animal in your pictures is either suffering or dying. well, clearly it's fucked up, but maybe not terminally or even permanently.

Stressless

Keene, OH
PICT2774_2020120503512uHmy.jpg

PICT3064_20201207001498zTm.jpg
unfortunatly this is what a wounded buck looks like - somwbody shot him high on the right side - exited the mid left side. He's been hittng this feeder for a coule weeks - arroe or bolt wound. I'll be looking for his rack on a rotting skull after muzzle loading season. You see wathc his decline over the days since he got hit.

I think you buck got a hitch in the humper ... no other obvious injury sign.

Reactions: brock ratcliff
Not super proud of this but I shot this buck last year on 11/11/2019 (i.e. same day of trail cam picture in the snow). I knew I had gut shot him instantly and back out to look the next morning. I generally have had good success recovering gut shot deer although that is not something to brag about by any means.

This one was kind of unique. I found (3) beds but never found him. I spent an accumulated probably 30 - 40 hours looking for him over the next week or two as I was confident that I he was dead laying in some brush pile. I finally gave up as I checked all possibilities that I had access to within a square mile. I never got another picture of him that year.

Fast forward to this year and around September I start getting a buck that has similar characteristics to him (Curved in long G3, curved brows) but most importantly this buck has been recognizable over the last 3 seasons because he has this distinct what I call "Snub" snout. At first I thought it was just similar genetics as I was only getting head on pictures of him and was by no means under the belief that deer live through punctured gut shots.

Finally one day I got a side profile and wouldn't you know there is a healed wound right against his hind quarter (i.e. this would be the exit hole at a partial quarter too angle). I am quite confident this was a pure gut shot and I am truly amazed to be even writing this. I am not sure if this is an anomly but I am now under the impression that a gut shot although I am sure is mostly fatal is not a 100% assurance the deer will not live.

At the close of Pa Archery Season this year I was still getting night photos of this buck who is fairly resident. I can only hope he made it past the slaughter fest of rifle season and I have the opportunity to hunt him as what I think is a 5 year old (i.e. I think he was 3.5 in the snow picture and 4.5 this year).

Attachments

• Diego 1.JPG
    Diego 1.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 218
  • Diego 2.JPG
    Diego 2.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 217