Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 4.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Offer goes for you to Joe, but I know Crawford Co dont have a lot of big birds.

Clark. And you're right. Only about 13-18 checked a year. I have two on the line for monday. Hopefully one of them cooperates. If not I'll try and find one in champaign.

How's that call working out btw?

Good luck guys

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
Clark. And you're right. Only about 13-18 checked a year. I have two on the line for monday. Hopefully one of them cooperates. If not I'll try and find one in champaign.

How's that call working out btw?

Good luck guys

You'll shoot one there. Honestly, we could have sat there and listened to them gobble for another hour every time we went.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
All three. Low bird numbers in isolated pockets. Lack of permission. Makes for lack of hunters.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Sounds about like up here Joe lol. Only we tagged 102 birds last year. I just wonder how many people shot one in the fall and tagged in for another county. Hell, out where I hunt I can tag it in at 2 other counties in a matter of 1/2 to 1.5 miles lmao.

I have still only been getting that jake and the 2-3 hens on cam but they went back to being sporadic in sightings again. I haven't seen them on came in a week so who knows where they went lol.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I have still only been getting that jake and the 2-3 hens on cam but they went back to being sporadic in sightings again. I haven't seen them on came in a week so who knows where they went lol.

I pulled my cam from the north block today. Gonna take it to the church property tomorrow. There were birds out there last year, they should still be around. i'll let you know what shows up.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I pulled my cam from the north block today. Gonna take it to the church property tomorrow. There were birds out there last year, they should still be around. i'll let you know what shows up.

Sounds good.

Going to try and get some leads on some property in Bellville that I always see birds in right off 97. Went by there yesterday for work and seen 3 toms with 2 hens each in seperate pockets out in that field. Sure do have a lot more birds down that way.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county

For what its worth, I heard at least 2 seperate birds gobbling on the neighboring property. Judging by the tracks they work back and forth between the two places.
My permission slip is still good for now, but it might be worth while for you to talk to whoever it was and see if we can get permission for this season.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
For what its worth, I heard at least 2 seperate birds gobbling on the neighboring property. Judging by the tracks they work back and forth between the two places.
My permission slip is still good for now, but it might be worth while for you to talk to whoever it was and see if we can get permission for this season.

About hit a tom last week coming from the woods heading to countyline crossing the big field to the south of that place. Was pretty funny lol. He got right to the edge of the field and I drove by and he started flapping his wings and running back to the woods a mile away lol. Guess turkeys don't like roadrunners lmao.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Alex and I went out and listened to one yesterday morning.. He gobbled once about 6:15.. and from then on he gobbled 10-15 times a minute for 30 min.. He hit the ground about 6:35 and kept going.. A hen got tired of it and cut three times real loud and rolled into a yelp.. He double gobble choked on himself and ran towards her gobbling.... If yesterday was season we would have been at Bob Evans by 7:30 eating biscuits and gravy..

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Might head out in the evenings the next couple days and see if I can tell where the birds here are roosting. I know they are there but I haven't found any feathers or poo around any of the trees while shed hunting over the past few weeks. Stumped me lol.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Might head out in the evenings the next couple days and see if I can tell where the birds here are roosting. I know they are there but I haven't found any feathers or poo around any of the trees while shed hunting over the past few weeks. Stumped me lol.

Turkey hunting at its finest.lol

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Checked cams today. See we might have some others hunting our 5 birds lol. I seen a little fella on cam that was out there during youth season on yesterday so by the time I get a chance to get back out there Sunday the birds will be God knows where. Was way to windy to go this morning so I just stuck it out around the house today.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I let two walk this morning, only had 6 to 8 in beards. These two would not make a sound but I think they was intimidated by the big guy that was hammering this head off just out of sight of me. Always tomorrow.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
One fuggin hen seems to be the norm for me these days. The birds are not making a peep and the toms and Jakes have vanished.

I think the hens are nesting and the toms and jakes went to find some new ground with some new girls. I can't buy a damn bird lol. I do keep seeing the one hen everytime I'm out there so I don't know if she was bred or lost her eggs or what. Dante seen a hen on the next property over on Saturday making all kinds of noise but again...No answer from the boys. I'm lost now and have no idea what to do or where to go since the county birds are so limited and the ground to hunt and get permission on is even worse.

See what I can do for next Sunday fellas.