Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team # 7 " Get it while it's warm "

lung buster

hocking county
Went out yesterday am for the first time. Had a button head at 18 yds. I had the pin on him but I was looking for his mom. She never showed. She must have already gave him the boot. I let down and gave him a pass. I must be getting soft. Thunderflight would be disappointed,lol. May hit it again one morning next week depending on the weather.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Went out yesterday am for the first time. Had a button head at 18 yds. I had the pin on him but I was looking for his mom. She never showed. She must have already gave him the boot. I let down and gave him a pass. I must be getting soft. Thunderflight would be disappointed,lol. May hit it again one morning next week depending on the weather.

Ya gave up some of the best meat for the freezer lol. Good note is TF will have at least one BB in the state to shoot at when he gets here for his hunting trip lol.
The weather is going to be hot this weekend so the deer movement in the evening are going to be crap. Best thing to do would be a morning hunt and hope to catch them heading to bed or getting a drink mid day. Then it's a game of runnin around like a chicken with your head cut off trying to save the meat. I am going to wait until Thursday evening before I head back out since it is going to start cooling off again. Then hit it again on Saturday morning if I don't get my doe Thursday.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Well could have 5 points on the board but I couldn't do it. Just not a real clear sight picture. Plenty of time though.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm hoping to put at least five points on the board this weekend. Weather is gonna be a bit cooler, and I'm itching to stick something. Gonna get out Friday around noon and check cameras and get a gameplan going for the weekend. I moved three cams and set up a new stand Monday in an effort to try and pinpoint STT AND Claw, so I'm excited to see if my move paid off.

lung buster

hocking county
Heading out in the am. I'm really wanting to let the air out of something. Hunting a piece of ground where my boy won't be going later on so anything but small bucks will be in trouble........

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Good luck fellas. I hope you guys get a chance to lay a big boy on the ground this weekend. I have a feeling Saturday morning is going to be awesome for deer movement.

Beener, Does can be had anytime buddy. No need to push it. Late season is always good for one when they herd up after the snow.

I wanted to get out yesterday evening but plans changed and didn't get to. I am going to try and get out there this evening if the radar looks half way decent.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Got in the stand at about 5 this evening. Headed into the stand we call " Hucks stand " (fugger won't sit anywhere else lmao) All the beans have been taken off from the fields surrounding this place but for the little field this stand sits on. I thought for sure the deer would come up out of the woods and grab some beans on their way over to the west for the cornfield like they did 2 years ago when we had this same crop rotation. I get all settled in and sit there still as can be. At just after 6 I hear some noise off to my right (west) and just as I look over that way I see a brown blob through the leaves take off running straight north. I catch a glimpse of a white flag running just over a little ridge. DAMN !!! There is noway she seen me from 50 yards out and there is noway she smelled me given this inside corner had wind going east. We had a SE wind for tonight but the wind always swirls back to the east in this corner given the SE wind. I know there was some tree rats back that way just before this so I don't know if one of them spooked her off or what.
Sat there until just after 7pm with no other sightings to be had. I climbed down just after shooting light and headed back to the truck that was parked 1/2 mile east on the other end of this bean field. I get about 100 yards up this overgrown tractor path and see a patch of white right beside a fallen oak tree that is across this tractor path. I froze and looked a little closer. It's a damn doe just standing there broadside. DAMN again lol. I stood there watching her and she watching me for about 5min before she goes back to feeding. She must have had the feeling of somebody watching her because she jumped off the tractor path back into the fencerow and over into the cornfield. I ranged where she was standing and she was at 42 yards and all I could do is stand there and watch.

Try it again Saturday.

lung buster

hocking county
No good this morning. Seen 13 turks and about 3000 squirrel. This is my long weekend so I should be getting some if the weather is decent. Good luck to all that makes it out.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Hunting tomorrow evening rain or shine. Saturday I will hunt the AM and then do some mowing. Probably slip out and into a stand in the evening if I have time. Finishing the building Sunday and moving stuff from storage.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Hunting tomorrow evening rain or shine. Saturday I will hunt the AM and then do some mowing. Probably slip out and into a stand in the evening if I have time. Finishing the building Sunday and moving stuff from storage.

If you go saturday take an anchor with ya lol. I just looked for our area and they are calling for 20-30mph winds :(

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm in the stand now boys. Waited for the last rain shower to roll through, then hightailed it in. Sitting about 20y off the field edge where I continue to get pics of the big boys. I prepositioned the cans south of where they have been in an effort to start honing in on them, and I'm getting closer. I have pics of Claw from Tuesday and Wednesday @ 1930. Hoping since the rain is moving through and it has cooled off, he will be on his feet early. My fingers are crossed!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Goodluck with Claw Greg! Hope you bust his ass this weekend! This dang blustery and inconsistent wind direction is a mother this weekend.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I almost had us some points for a doe. I could have shot a small yearling doe or a BB but I chose to let them both walk in hopes momma would be seen to follow. She didn't show. We had deer all around us for the evening sit yesterday and at last light one of them busted us and blow the two BIG doe out of the field when the biggest was only about 4-5 steps from being in my 30 yard shooting window. DANG IT !!!!

I will hopefully get a chance at another doe next weekend fellas.