Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 7

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Guys I had an awesome morning, I had to owl hoot to get a gobble and while I was trying to find a spot to sit he let out his second and last. I found a place to sit by the creek that was probably 40yrds from the woods line. Ten minutes later 2 hens pitch out and land on the bank of a CRP field behind me. 5 minutes later I saw him strutting on the bank in front of me, he was roosted with two hens and a jake. Like text book he starts my way and struts the whole way to the dekes and at 25yrds he took a dirt nap. Now the fun starts, the jake continues to walk with in 5yrd of me and stays for 20 minutes. I took several videos and pixs while I took it all in, it was a great day to be hunting thunder chickens. Good luck guys, I will get out again Monday with my mom.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I hope I get some of your luck on Saturday, sounds like you had an awesome time! Congrats! I'm feeling the pressure lol

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Awesome Aaron! Thanks for taking time to post your story. I loved reading it - and look forward to more! Turkeys are the funnest thing I've ever hunted, and your story is a great example of why!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks Brock. Went out to one of my spots to scout last night and saw a group of 5 deer come out at 7:40. Then at 8:10 the bucks came out, at 8:15 they kept staring in one direction and I thought there might be a yote around. Next thing I know a tom with a nice beard comes running past at 10 yards Lol. I'll be after him or his 3 other buddies that I saw last Sunday.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Good luck guys. Im stuck at work the next 2 days but Monday is a different story, Mom is supposed to be coming back down so we'll go sit and hopefully not get wet.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I haven't been out since Wednesday. I've been doing a little road scouting. The alfalfa field gobbler is still alive and well. I haven't heard back from that landowner. Watched a couple of hens in a huge field yesterday until they went to roost on property I have permission on. Not a gobbler in sight.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here are some pics from our road scouting trip yesterday. Mason and I saw the two hens in a 400 acre field by our house, drove over to Ross Co and saw the alfalfa gobbler, snapped a pic from 400 yds or so. We looked for mushrooms for an hour or two, drove back back the alfalfa field and he was out there strutting, snapped more pics. Got back home, glassed the hens, watched 'em go to roost and went home. If the weather straightens up sometime, we'll start hunting again.

I love turkey hunting, but I don't love it enough to get out in the rain.
Good luck guys, hope you have more birds on your properties than it seems I do now.

Attachments

• Buckskin-20140427-01463.jpg
    Buckskin-20140427-01463.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 240
  • Buckskin-20140427-01466.jpg
    Buckskin-20140427-01466.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 251
  • Madison-20140427-01461.jpg
    Madison-20140427-01461.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 242

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Had a great morning shared with my daughter Brooke. Last year I called 2 jakes in while we sat in a ground blind and she couldn't pull the trigger so I thought maybe this year she could just tag along. When they are gobbling at 10 the odd greatly increase for getting them close so that is what happened and she got a big kick out of our 30min hunt. He's a little nicer than my other bird, he had a 10" beard and 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" spurs. Im out of tags but my mom still has one burning a hole in her pocket. good luck guys.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Had a total of 4 hens in front of me this morning. 2 gobblers showed up, didn't gobble at all. One hung up at 100 yards for 10 minutes until a hen saw him, went running for him, and took him away. I couldn't call him in. The second one followed a hen that passed through the field, he wanted nothing to do with my hen and Jake. The only gobbles I heard were from the roost and one when he flew down.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's awesome Aaron! So cool that your daughter was along on the hunt, and even better that it was a little later in the morning!
I'll put up my little story after I get a bit of video loaded onto youtube.