Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 9 - Nock Deep

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Congrats again Boone! I'm in the same boat at bogten05... lots of smaller bucks could've been killed so far, just trying to be patient. Time to start wackin' some does now since I need some meat & we need some points. Good luck guys!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Thanks again guys. Good luck to you if you get out this weekend.

Tonight while my buddy is sitting in a stand, I'm doing some scouting of some areas, far away from him, to see if I can slow bump some deer to him and also look for some new spots to hang a stand. This is in Portage county, where I think EHD hit the bucks pretty hard. Haven't seen a mature one there yet, even on camera. The ODNR numbers have the buck kill in Portage down about 20% from last year.

Shoot straight!

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I beleave I am going to have to wait till gun or muzzy season to get a shot. I have tried and tried to draw my bow and it just is not happening.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I got a late start to the morning, I was up and at em at 4:30, but fell back asleep..so here I am at 7:30 just climbing into my tree. Lets hope they're moving. Good luck out there!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Missed a doe this morning. :smiley_blackeye: Didn't see a twig in my line of sight, zinged an arrow, hit the twig and flew right over her back giving her a slight hair cut in the process. No wonder she took off going Mach 3. rotflmao Clean miss, which is the silver lining I guess.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
It happens Sean..better to have it happen on her than a slunger lol. I was drawn back on a doe today but told myself no. I was waiting and waiting for a big boy to step..and to my amazement i heard foot steps coming from where she came from. So I got myself prepared..when a little spike stepped out. :smiley_blackeye:

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Sorry to hear that Curran. At least it was a clean miss! Must be something better out there for you still;)

Who's headed out for gun next week? I'm heading south with my dad, brother and a friend. Dad is on patrol duty to keep the other orange guys off of the land we have permission to hunt. I will pull my cameras Monday morning so they don't disappear the rest of the season. Is it me or has the season gone by too fast so far?
Good luck guys!

Last edited:

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Well guys I almost sealed the deal today. I was drawn back on my target buck twice..each at 30 yards. I had 4 does come to my right, 10 yards away..and for some reason he wouldnt follow them and ended up cutting behind me and making a circle, then came back in to 30 yards..and once again was facing me and in brush..he then turned and went down the hill and disapeared. That was the 2nd shooter I saw this am, and the 9th deer I saw. If he wouldve walked 15 more yards, either time..He woulda been mine all mine! It was an awsome hunt though non theless. Hopefully he survives the oragne army though. :smiley_depressive:

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Moundhill, keep at it as one will give you the opportunity eventually. The experience still had to be great though!

So from what I saw, Curran is the only one who scored during gun season so far. What have the rest of you been up to? I saw 8 does on Monday, and even let 3 pass because they were headed towards my brother who hasn't shot anything yet this year. I may get out tomorrow afternoon, but can't go all weekend because of kids bball on Saturday and Sunday. Good luck guys!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
You guys still out there?

I haven't been seeing much at all lately. I'm not sure if there are more than two deer left where I hunt in Portage. Not a single 2.5+ deer on camera all year (not that I could shoot one). It's almost time for me to switch to cutting firewood as I don't even want to shoot a doe in view of the lack of deer.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I'll be getting back out. Just not sure when that is yet. Got 1 camera still out and it needs checked. Been hunting ducks & geese mostly right now. Once that season goes back out I'll probably start climbing trees again.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'm still here lol. I havnt had much of a drive or time to get back out. After Christmas though, it's on! I'll hopefully have my CDL test outta the way then too. So i'll have time to get out. I have 2 shooters still showing up on my camera, both at daylight. So that does give me a little bit of a fire to get out. Goodluck guys..dont give up yet!

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
im here, havent seen a good buck for awhile, my cousin and brother both killed bucks last weekend ill get my brothers posted up for some youth bonus points. im really hoping we get some cold weather even some snow to get the bucks up on there feet ive got a little honey hole too sit on if we get some snow.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Nothing to report here. I did manage to fill up a feeder on a property we hunt where no one else has permission yet with a hope that the deer we have left hung around while we weren't there during muzzy. The camera I still have up down there showed about 50% shed bucks. It that area the bucks consistently start dropping after Xmas.

I don't think we're going to win this year. lol :smiley_baseball:

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
well we killed some deer in my group this weekend my uncle shot a good 9 point and i shot another doe, as for bucks its been rough i seen a few this tuesday but the one i was gonna shoot had already dropped a side so he got the pass from me theres always next year i guess its time to get on these yotes and start shed hunting in a few weeks

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Nothing here either. Diablo has now begun trapping my land do to a recent overrun of yotes. So that will most likely out my hunting to a stand still. My last camera check showed 1 shooter, a few small bucks, and ALOT of fuggin yotes.