Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

That’s a lot of deer

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Piles of deer hides at the processor J and I use.

1BFD5A92-D24D-4F9C-BC7C-68AAF1D11467.jpeg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Processors are getting fewer and further between. The ones that ARE sticking around are busier than ever. Our local processor up here, one of the more popular ones around, is on pace to do well over 1,000 deer this season. They may have already broken that mark already, actually. It’s wild. There’s a lot of money to be made if someone is willing to invest in the right setup and put up with the hunters.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Processors are getting fewer and further between. The ones that ARE sticking around are busier than ever. Our local processor up here, one of the more popular ones around, is on pace to do well over 1,000 deer this season. They may have already broken that mark already, actually. It’s wild. There’s a lot of money to be made if someone is willing to invest in the right setup and put up with the hunters.

Putting up with the hunters and their ways is a tough one. We had a spot for notes on our cut sheets. Things like "shot 5 times" stopped a lot of bitching.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
This guys been really good. He’ll work with you, especially since now I’m in NC.
It’s a family affair. He and his wife and kids and cousins and neighbors.
Been going too him since he opened his doors.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
This guys been really good. He’ll work with you, especially since now I’m in NC.
It’s a family affair. He and his wife and kids and cousins and neighbors.
Been going too him since he opened his doors.
What's he charge J ? Heard some are 150. now.

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
We used to have some family friends that did all of our processing. We’d field dress our deer and drop them off and have our deer back in a week or two. They charged us less than $100 and that included snack sticks, sausage, pork in the burger, etc. They’re now divorced so they don’t do it anymore, but they’re son-in-law does but it’s only select deer. I’m happy I started processing my own a few years ago with Nate. Our old processor always had a pretty good pile of dead deer especially during gun week. They’d do quite a few deer for only being a handful of people doing it.

Reactions: giles
Ohio
$100 including pork added too the burger. Most around here are at that price or higher.
Who do you use J? If I remember correctly you aren’t too far from me. I usually do my own deer but I like to get some sticks and trail so I take about a deer per year in. I’ve used the same processor for 20+ years but they aren’t appreciative of the business because they are so swamped and generally are pretty rude. Wouldn’t mind giving someone else a try.

Believe it or not, a cooler down my way took in 700 on a fri-sat-sun last year. That was during the 79 days of rifle season!

Redneckfucker

Greene county
The processor I use and @Quantum673 when we can’t do it our self is very reliable and a good fella. I took my doe I shot when it was too warm to let it swing and it was $110 for just standard cut. Which is burger, roast for jerky and burger.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Who do you use J? If I remember correctly you aren’t too far from me. I usually do my own deer but I like to get some sticks and trail so I take about a deer per year in. I’ve used the same processor for 20+ years but they aren’t appreciative of the business because they are so swamped and generally are pretty rude. Wouldn’t mind giving someone else a try.
Sent you a message.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Man... I hope that's not an area that was hit hard with EHD... If so gonna be a lot of bitching next year due to lack of deer....