Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The 102 2018

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
I think I remember seeing a way you can set up two or three "fences" of string/caution tape or something that sways in the wind so that deer look at it and think they can't get through it. Yes I know deer can't read lol but the illusion keeps them off. Something like a 2' high string with a 4' high string two feet behind it then another 2' high string two feet behind that. Never tried it just remember seeing it. Good luck man, looks fun!

Reactions: Spencie

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
The beans are growing along with filler from whatever I planted 2 years ago. I think it’s some kind of rye. The deer just started hitting it the past couple days so I tried stringing caution tape across the plot. 0CA9BCE6-0682-4A49-AFD1-31C33E22C9AF.jpegAF5EFE83-9F8B-4EA5-AA10-773684492061.jpeg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I think I remember seeing a way you can set up two or three "fences" of string/caution tape or something that sways in the wind so that deer look at it and think they can't get through it. Yes I know deer can't read lol but the illusion keeps them off. Something like a 2' high string with a 4' high string two feet behind it then another 2' high string two feet behind that. Never tried it just remember seeing it. Good luck man, looks fun!

I've seen similar, but with only 2 strands. Per NC Wildlife Resources Commission: "Although deer can jump high and far, their eyes are located on the side of their head, giving them poor depth perception." The method I saw used t-posts and the white electric ribbon you'd typically use with horses. Run your outer strand about 3' off the ground, then run the second setback 5-6' and 5' off the ground. Even though they can physically clear that, their depth perception psyches them out of trying. Never tried it, but seems to be logical based on things I've read.

Good luck keeping them out of there Mike!

The soy beans have sprouted and seem to be coming along good. So far the deer don't seem to be hurting them but I hung a jacket up and filled the hood with smelly body lotion. I'm hoping to keep them out long enough to get the beans growing good. Anyone have any ideas? My niece-in law cuts hair, I may get some clippings from her and hang them up in bags around the plot for a week or two.

View attachment 61508
Milorganite. Organic slow release fertilizer. Qdma did a study. Repels deer long enough to help establish the plots. I use it in all of mine and it def. helps.

Reactions: Big_Holla

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good update, Spencie. Looks like you'll have at least some attraction going on there this fall.

For viewer reference, do you remember at what rate you planted those beans? I'm assuming you broadcast them right?

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I planted about about 4/5 of an acre. The bag said it was good for an acre and I used most of it. Wish I had used all of it because not all of it germinated.