Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Best Spray to Inhibit Your Scent

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I will argue the less expensive point..The home made scent reduction spray is dirt cheap to make. You can make a gallon for under 4$..Since most of us use the HS green soap to Pre-hunt shower with anyways..You only need gallon distilled water(75cents),,Baking soda(around 1$ a box) an an TOO 32oz bottles of 3% peroxide(1$ each=2$).An 4oz of HS green Scent A way soap(free since alot of ppl use it/have it)...I wont say it is or isnt better..But I can make enough spray for 2 seasons for under 4$...I still got 1/2gallon from last year..I wonder if its still good?

I'll agree that what you have posted is probably cheaper on initial cost, but mine won't freeze when I forget too remove it out of the bed of my truck in zero degree weather either rotflmao and trust me I'm a forgetful person so I know that would happen rotflmao

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That's true too, I figure with Soap/Shampoo in a sealed bottle I should be OK.

Does it seperate when it sits for a while and you have too shake it up too re-mix it????? It may not freeze while it's mixed but if it seperates that's when it might be an issue....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I will keep that in mind..I got a few do dads an such I still need(light climber,thermacell,new binos.an Tag an lise..Dont know if the smoker is in budget or not

I would go to deer camp without my stand before I would without my smoker. And that ain't no lie.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Interesting and good read. For those that don't care for the smoke smell, the homemade mix is a good idea. I won't be going on any deer hunting trips without my smoker though....

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
This thread is pushing me over the edge. I have been thinking of an idea for about a month of creating a product that will compliment the smoker. That is it. I am going to have it together before the month is out. :smiley_clap:

Huckleberry Finn

I remember reading threads back in the day how Jesse and especially Joe didn't believe the smoker would work...

The first night I used the smoker, I had a doe stand under my tree....

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
I remember reading threads back in the day how Jesse and especially Joe didn't believe the smoker would work...

The first night I used the smoker, I had a doe stand under my tree....

Not saying it doesn 't work but all do is shower each time i go out. all clothes are washed and only worn 1 day withut washing them in scent free soap again. i spray down with scent killer and use the boady foam all the time...
I too have had deer underneath my stand and 5 feet from my blind, tc. So its the wind and your cleaning procedures.... Not a big fan of smelling like a firepit though... JMO

The fact that I am still as diligent about my scent free habit as I was before I smoked up, is a huge part of why the technique I employ is so effective. It's only logical: Destroy all traces of order on you and your gear, then coat anything you missed with a layer of acceptable odor. It's a no brainer IMO, but it seems to just baffle some folks...

See Jesse gets it....For all the HATERS..I never said smoke sucked or was inferior or superior..I thought the article an research was well thought out an a interesting way to go about proving the point..

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Scientific and engineering people have amazing patience....the steps, the controls, the search for fact.... I admire those people.
Which ain't me...I paint with a wiiiiide brush. Not so good with detail work like that.

But it makes sense to me to use scent free soap, scent free laundry detergent, then smoke up.
And having a deer within 5-6 feet of me while on the ground last year made me a firm believer in the whole routine.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have a pellet burner. What would be the difference of standing in front of the exhaust pipe outside and "smoking up"
I burn the premium hard wood pellets for the higher BTU so its hard wood smoke?

Just wondering

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I have a pellet burner. What would be the difference of standing in front of the exhaust pipe outside and "smoking up"
I burn the premium hard wood pellets for the higher BTU so its hard wood smoke?

Just wondering

Not sure there would be, I burn pellets as well, the smell is a little different though. They add in some "bonding agents" to get the pellets to form when they go through the mills, I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not.