Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Butchering Thread

Kaiser878

ohio
I would agree with that. However, I add whatever spices I want to the meat before I grind. Just sprinkle it onto the chunks and grind away. I have a huge grinder, but generally run the meat through two times at least anyway.
Yup.... I do the same. I grind mine twice. The second time is when I add the pork or beef fat. Also the second time through it goes through a finer grinding plate....

Jamie

Ohio
Find the 'concrete mixing tubs.' They are black. Much bigger than standard meat tubs and only about a third of the cost. Usually only about 5-6 bucks for one.

It is ill advised to use anything other than food grade plastic stuff for processing and storing meat and fish. heaven knows what sort of chemicals might be leaching into your raw food.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It is ill advised to use anything other than food grade plastic stuff for processing and storing meat and fish. heaven knows what sort of chemicals might be leaching into your raw food.
I'll take my chances. I wash and disinfect all my containers thoroughly and no meat is ever left in a tub for more than 24 hours. I doubt that plastic is any different than a Tupperware, or the plastic cup my coke from McDonalds comes in, or the plastic forks we eat with at a cookout.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I'll take my chances. I wash and disinfect all my containers thoroughly and no meat is ever left in a tub for more than 24 hours. I doubt that plastic is any different than a Tupperware, or the plastic cup my coke from McDonalds comes in, or the plastic forks we eat with at a cookout.
It can be much different. "Food safe" is there for a reason. Most of it is for a taste saver but some can leach chems depending on compounds.

Plastic bust tubs are what I would recommend.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I added to my home butchering setup this week and I have to say, these knives are sweet for the $. The totes were no brainers, but I rolled the dice on the cheaper knives. The boning knife performed great today. Less than $50 for both knives and two totes, which pretty well completed my home setup.

Screenshot_20191110-210624_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20191110-210639_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20191110-210702_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Buckmaster

Portage
I’ve got 2 of Jesse’s Rubbermaid’s. My kitchen needs 2 more to put me over the top. I bought mine at Sam’s Club about 12 years ago. I wash them with bleach and soap water in the bathtub. Each holds about 40 pounds of ground meat.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
A little more than 19 years ago, we butchering my first deer on this counter and my mom wasn't happy about it! We used a homemade grinder we borrowed that was ran off a belt and electric motor. We didn't have anything in the way of butchering tools and definitely didn't have a vacuum sealer! Life is good with modern technology!

Got the loins and straps buttoned up earlier. Glad I had some supervision to keep me on task!

IMG_20191112_092313_264.jpg

Working up the neck roast now and letting the shanks air dry after rinsing. First time leaving shanks whole. I plan to make the recipe below...

20191112_120906.jpg

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
View attachment 89964One of the best investments I ever made! Can pick one up a Rural King for just under $100.
View attachment 89965

Cubed backstraps...
My wife bought that exact same one for me 6-7 years ago. Her family's favorite meal is cubed steak, and I love it too. I use it for alot of tough cuts then flour, brown, and throw some stock, shrooms and onions on it. Cover and bake til tender. Serve over some mashed taters