Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Butchering Thread

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
20191116_125537.jpg

Smashed and ready for vacuum packer.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
They cure hams that way...at least the did in my part of Missouri. Packed it in salt and hung it in the attic.

Reactions: "J"

Bowkills

Nw oh
Clotted or any jelly Blood on meat ?......what do you guys do to clean? Other than scraping with a knife, making better shots and finding your deer ASAP got any ways to make the bloody crap more enjoyable to work with?

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Clotted or any jelly Blood on meat ?......what do you guys do to clean? Other than scraping with a knife, making better shots and finding your deer ASAP got any ways to make the bloody crap more enjoyable to work with?

Nope, cut it and pitch it. My uncle's taught me and they r both butchers at the local pork plant. Curious on others responses too.

Jamie

Ohio
cut, scrape, and wipe with lots and lots and lots and lots of paper towels. you never get it all, and you don't really need to, but you can clean up most of it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

I know for rabbit meat, we would slice the area and soak in salt water. Seemed to work well for us. Now for venison? I would imagine it’d be close too the same....

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
cut, scrape, and wipe with lots and lots and lots and lots of paper towels. you never get it all, and you don't really need to, but you can clean up most of it.

This is what I do. Cut out the worst parts, scrape the heck out of what's left and then use lots and lots of paper towels.

Reactions: Bowkills

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Because this was K's first deer, I wanted to be very intentional with the butchering and preparation of the meat. The grind will all be made into venison chorizo for breakfast sausages. One of the backstrap halves got a coffee and chili rub, then smoked for Thanksgiving. The rest of the straps will go to special occasions, as will the 15-day aged ham that'll be cooked whole, and the primary cuts from this ham that aged 35 days. Waste was minimal. I cut off 13 ounces of rind, which wasn't much more than what came off the 15-day version. The meat was so tender, I pretty much pulled it apart by muscle group. I can't wait to eat these cuts!

IMG_20191211_175656_267.jpg
IMG_20191211_175656_269.jpg
20191211_182530.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Those cuts of meat look phenomenal, brother. The eye of round, in the top right corner, is one of my favorite cuts on the entire deer. Hollow out the center of it with a filet knife, long-ways, then stuff it with pepperjack cheese... Season and sear the outside, then grill/smoke it to a medium rare finish. Slice thin against the grain and serve. It takes a few to really make a meal, but they are incredible appetizers.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I butchered my first deer yesterday. Now I understand how it completes the hunt and the memory. I need to better understand the muscle structures so I can do a better job, but it will eat the same.
That is outstanding to hear. I love cutting up deer. Not good at it, need practice, but love doing it. I don't think I could ever give one to a processor and feel right about it, I'd feel like I'm missing out. I'm just saying for me alone, not knocking anyone who uses a processor. But I'm glad you dig it Mike.