Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Future of Hunting in Ohio

If you could make one change to Ohio deer hunting regualtions ,what would it be?

• Ban baiting.

Votes: 33 75.0%
  • Modify camera use. (E.g. No cell cams in season, No cams on public, etc.)

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Change season dates. (E.g. Reduce opportunity, Alter NR guidelines, etc.)

• Modify crossbow use. (E.g. Special season, Medical/Age restrictions, etc.)

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Attempt to discourage leasing. (E.g. New fees, New access programs, combined with season changes, et

• Ban baiting, cameras, crossbows, guns and make people hunt in loin clothes using sharp sticks.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other, and I'll share my recommendation in this thread.

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
I don't understand your complaint or what any of it has to do with ohio. I'm reading it as if you just wanted to tug on the ODNR-D. Not many post here are saying this place sucks. Most are saying things could improve. They are also contributing what they think could improve.

Not necessarily complaining myself (though I'm definitely on the anti-baiting bullshit train), more pointing out out that the folks who do complain about hunting in Ohio are more likely the problem than the anyone/anything they blame.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not necessarily complaining myself (though I'm definitely on the anti-baiting bullshit train), more pointing out out that the folks who do complain about hunting in Ohio are more likely the problem than the anyone/anything they blame.
If you don't hunt in Ohio, how would you have any input to offer? Seems obvious that those hunting Ohio would have the experience and reference points to have complaints based in reality as opposed to conjecture. I would argue those who do complain, have the best basis on which to make such observations and particularly in this demographic, many of us self-regulate only to have it ruined by less scrupulous individuals. Just because you hunt in Ohio doesn't mean you're part of the problem.

Last edited:
If you don't hunt in Ohio, how would you have any input to offer? Seems obvious that those hunting Ohio would have the experience and reference points to have complaints based in reality as opposed to conjecture. I would argue those who do complain, have the best basis on which to make such observations and particularly in this demographic, many of us self-regulate only to have it ruined by less scrupulous individuals. Just because you hunt in Ohio doesn't mean you're part of the problem.
I do hunt Ohio. I own land in Ohio. I also agree with what you're saying as it is the same point for those that ONLY hunt Ohio and lack experience and knowledge of other areas and hunting experiences.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Aaron97

Wood County
I took some time to listen to a good chunk of this podcast and thought I'd provide my 2 cents as a hunter in his mid 20s.

1. I thought it was very interesting when Mike mentioned the average hunter in Ohio is now 47 years old. From what I've seen, very few people my age are into hunting unless they grew up doing it from a young age. I only have a couple friends who got into hunting as an adult. I also thought Mike's story about seeing so many nonresidents near Athens was interesting. I think over the next 10-20 years we'll see public land being used even LESS by residents as more guys age out. Whether more nonresidents will come to hunt... Who knows.

Note: I just looked at the ODNR's summary of the 22-23 season and it says license sales have declined 20% from 2011 to 2022. I expect this to only get worse.

2. It's very hard to get access. I've had luck due to personal connections but now people are VERY apprehensive to door-knocking for access now. Leasing has also done a lot to prevent residents from having hunting access. I think there needs to be more regulation/ control on the nonresident side but I'm not sure what that would actually entail.

3. Baiting. This is tough because I see both sides to the argument. I've never hunted over bait or dealt with neighbors that bait so I don't really have a well-informed opinion. It certainly seems to be a problem though.

4. Cameras. I think cameras are fine on private land but I'm starting to be more against their usage on public. I do not like the idea of turning every remaining bit of public forest in the state into a cell tower.

Overall the podcast was fine. I thought the hosts were somewhat annoying but the guest seemed pretty knowledgeable and I enjoyed hearing what he had to say even though I didn't agree with all of it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I took some time to listen to a good chunk of this podcast and thought I'd provide my 2 cents as a hunter in his mid 20s.

1. I thought it was very interesting when Mike mentioned the average hunter in Ohio is now 47 years old. From what I've seen, very few people my age are into hunting unless they grew up doing it from a young age. I only have a couple friends who got into hunting as an adult. I also thought Mike's story about seeing so many nonresidents near Athens was interesting. I think over the next 10-20 years we'll see public land being used even LESS by residents as more guys age out. Whether more nonresidents will come to hunt... Who knows.

Note: I just looked at the ODNR's summary of the 22-23 season and it says license sales have declined 20% from 2011 to 2022. I expect this to only get worse.

2. It's very hard to get access. I've had luck due to personal connections but now people are VERY apprehensive to door-knocking for access now. Leasing has also done a lot to prevent residents from having hunting access. I think there needs to be more regulation/ control on the nonresident side but I'm not sure what that would actually entail.

3. Baiting. This is tough because I see both sides to the argument. I've never hunted over bait or dealt with neighbors that bait so I don't really have a well-informed opinion. It certainly seems to be a problem though.

4. Cameras. I think cameras are fine on private land but I'm starting to be more against their usage on public. I do not like the idea of turning every remaining bit of public forest in the state into a cell tower.

Overall the podcast was fine. I thought the hosts were somewhat annoying but the guest seemed pretty knowledgeable and I enjoyed hearing what he had to say even though I didn't agree with all of it.
What’s the general opinion of your non hunting family and friends on the subject of hunting?

Bigcountry40

One thing I forgot to mention on here in my earlier post- I teach at a rural school where a fair amount of kids hunt. Majority of these kids have it pretty good (see lots of deer, bait piles, cell cams, side by sides, etc), if these kids are ever forced to hunt state land, they'll quit hunting. Obviously there will be some outliers but I don't see these kids making public land adjustments (if no other options) and slummin it after the success with ease they have experienced. It'll be interesting in the next 10 to15 years.

Last edited:

Aaron97

Wood County
What’s the general opinion of your non hunting family and friends on the subject of hunting?
My family (both Mom and Dad's side) have background in hunting so pretty favorable. Most of my cousins don't hunt but there's no animosity. My in-laws are the same.

As for friends, most are totally indifferent. I have a few friends that hunt, too. I've never had anyone I know personally outright confront me on hunting but I have definitely had negative experiences with random people my age. My friend and I got called animal murderers by a girl our age that was driving by as we walked back from a sit 😂

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My family (both Mom and Dad's side) have background in hunting so pretty favorable. Most of my cousins don't hunt but there's no animosity. My in-laws are the same.

As for friends, most are totally indifferent. I have a few friends that hunt, too. I've never had anyone I know personally outright confront me on hunting but I have definitely had negative experiences with random people my age. My friend and I got called animal murderers by a girl our age that was driving by as we walked back from a sit 😂
That’s good too hear, well except for the Karen that is 😂

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Yes, I do buy a non-resident hunting license, and deer and turkey permits. The landowner payment exemption is only for resident land owners.
No true, you do not have to buy a license as a nonresident landowner if the state you reside in lets none resident landowners hunt their land without a license.
IMG_3601.jpeg

Reactions: danielpokey