Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The House Flip.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
When my wife and I met we both owned houses. As things progressed we moved in to my house because it was larger and nicer. She purchased her house in 2009 as a foreclosure after some drunk lost it due to some jail time for nonsupport. We've rented the house to family for the last 6 years. When my wife lived there it needed some work and things needed updated but it was clean and in pretty good condition. The renter and her 4 kids were hell on the place but really it's nothing that didn't need ripped out in a remodel anyway.

The end of August we put my house on the market and had a damn good offer within 11 days. We close on the house this Friday and I have until the following Friday to move out. That's the Friday of strouds so I want to be in the new house by that Wednesday. The plan is to move in, renovated it, and put it on the market by May of next year. The house is sitting on about 60k in equity and needs maybe 10k in materials.

The renter moved out of the other house today and I've been busting ass to get stuff done. I'm having the walls and ceiling painted on Wednesday and she should be done Thursday. Once she's done I'm going to sand, stain, and poly the hardwood floors. Once that's done I'm going to put in all new doors, baseboards, and door trim. All of that needs done in the next 9 days. Day 10 is moving day, day 12 is the Friday of Strouds.

I'll keep updating this thread as I go.

20181007_190229.jpg
20181007_190143.jpg
20181007_190134.jpg
20181007_190129.jpg
20181006_232903.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thanks guys. Almost ready for paint. Got all of the trim and interior doors pulled. Divited the 16 million nail holes and mudded them. Need to sand and touch up the mud today. I'm also going to pressure wash the garage out because they had it packed with junk and let outdoor cats come and go in the garage. Smells like cat piss and garbage. I'm going to pressure wash and then douse it with ammonia and let it soak then wash it off.

Thanks to a tip from Beener I'm buying the 6 pannel doors from Menards as they're cheaper than lowes or home depot. I also have over 300 foot of baseboards and 200 foot of trim in my cart. Cool thing about menards is for a cheap fee you can buy everything online and have them pull your order for pickup.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wanted to send you pica of my last two empty rentals. Switched phones and couldn't find the pics. The walls pretty much looked like peg board with all the holes. They nail, hit nothing, pull the nail, repeat until they find a stud. Morons.

Reactions: finelyshedded

Jamie

Ohio
Thanks guys. Almost ready for paint. Got all of the trim and interior doors pulled. Divited the 16 million nail holes and mudded them. Need to sand and touch up the mud today. I'm also going to pressure wash the garage out because they had it packed with junk and let outdoor cats come and go in the garage. Smells like cat piss and garbage. I'm going to pressure wash and then douse it with ammonia and let it soak then wash it off.

Thanks to a tip from Beener I'm buying the 6 pannel doors from Menards as they're cheaper than lowes or home depot. I also have over 300 foot of baseboards and 200 foot of trim in my cart. Cool thing about menards is for a cheap fee you can buy everything online and have them pull your order for pickup.
I'd suggest hosing the garage down with a solution of 25% bleach (quart bleach with 3 qts water), 4 oz liquid TSP substitute and some Dawn dishwashing liquid prior to pressure washing. will clean, kill mildew, sanitize and somewhat deodorize. real old school cleaning/paint prep, but very effective. use a garden type pump sprayer to apply let stand for 20-30 minutes, keeping it wet if it starts to dry off, scrub bad places if needed. pressure wash the filth away.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'd suggest hosing the garage down with a solution of 25% bleach (quart bleach with 3 qts water), 4 oz liquid TSP substitute and some Dawn dishwashing liquid prior to pressure washing. will clean, kill mildew, sanitize and somewhat deodorize. real old school cleaning/paint prep, but very effective. use a garden type pump sprayer to apply let stand for 20-30 minutes, keeping it wet if it starts to dry off, scrub bad places if needed. pressure wash the filth away.

Fantastic advice. Thanks bud.

Ran across something that will make you laugh. The walls are textured and on one wall the kids painted it this bright pink, before that was some sort of cream color. In pulling the baseboard I didn't cut it deep enough and the paint pulled back in one spot. I tugged on it and a huge strip came off. I then took my 6 inch mud knife and slid it behind the paint. Stuff was coming off in big latex sheets. It's like the paint deteriorated the wall texture to a powder and released the paint. I pole sanded it and plan to killz primer it before painting.

20181006_232930.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
OH FUCK! not much else you can do with a disaster like that. maybe skim coat the edges for appearance sake. a word of caution; 25% bleach solution is VERY potent. will burn your skin and eyes chlorine gas very dangerous. only use in well ventilated area. when I make this concoction for washing a house I usually use generic pressure washing detergent. Dawn is a better degreaser, but if you leave this mixed solution sit overnight the liquid soap precipitates out of solution into some white gooey flakey shit that clogs up sprayer. can't explain the chemistry, but its a pain in the ass. use it up the day you make it or dump it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ready for paint tomorrow.

Floor sander rental is scheduled for Friday.

And a rather strange addition to a tool belt. Super safe neighborhood but I am here late at night with a lot of tools and job sites are big targets for junkies. (The tools go home with me each night.)

20181009_212913.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ceiling and walls are painted. I start on floors tomorrow after picking up my order of doors, trim, and baseboards from Menards.
20181011_183622.jpg
20181011_183547.jpg

Reactions: Mike

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
@Jamie BTW the concoction of bleach, TSP and Dawn did an awesome job on the garage. Haven't had a chance to powerwash it but an application of 2 gallons completely eliminated the god awful dumpster smell and got up a lot of the stains. Haven't even rinsed it and its a world of difference. No off odor at all.