Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The House Flip.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Called an audible on 4th and goal. Decided against trim today as I would rather paint it before putting it up. With no time to paint there's no trim going up. I'd rather deal with furniture hanging painted trim than deal with furniture and paint trim on the wall. So I focused on livable items. Hung all the doors, installed knobs, three lighted ceiling fans, three light fixtures, new wall plates, new smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, cleaned and numbered all the rooms for the movers tomorrow.
20181016_231116.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Haven't updated this in a while as I've been busier than hell. The trim is painted and ready to be hung. Hit a snafu on the doors that'll require some carpentry. The frame width on a standard door is about 4 9/16, pretty standard, the rough opening on these walls is 5 3/8. This means I'm gonna need to rip some furring strips on the table saw to furr out the jamb to close the gap. No biggie just takes some time. Wish I would have caught it before cutting out the frames and I would have just done door panels. But honestly panels are almost just as much of a pain in the ass. Usually you throw on a tape to measure rough opening height & width, note swing, and order your shit. The carpantry of this home is a gift that keeps on giving.

Wifes out of town this week and I have the boys so I've been doing odd and end quick hit items. Roughed in a box and outlet for that microwave, installed a piston on the screen door, all the door stops, installed a water supply line for the refrigerator, traced down an electrical issue of a ground that was too long and contacting the hot side of a outlet screw, replaced a toilet fill valve and flapper, rebuilt a frost free spigot and painted trim.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Just RIP some primed floor trim your going to get anyway for the strips and use the PPG that matches from Menards to match the doors. ;)

You have to ask for the paint that matches the prefinished doors. Some of the counter jockeys won't know. Just have them look up Grand Distinction color Mastercraft Doors.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Good stuff Joe, keep it going. Are you doing all this after work or are you off?

Took a week off week before last and now just working on it as time allows between family time on nights and weekends.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just RIP some primed floor trim your going to get anyway for the strips and use the PPG that matches from Menards to match the doors. ;)

You have to ask for the paint that matches the prefinished doors. Some of the counter jockeys won't know. Just have them look up Grand Distinction color Mastercraft Doors.

Yeah buddy. After looking at the selection of furring strips which should really be called "every piece of shit no grade mill waste we could strap in a bundle" that'll be what I do. Furr out frames, casing, caulk seams, paint.

I didn't go with prefinished but rather primed. I didn't like the paint texture on the prefinished. Looked and felt rough, you could tell it was sprayed on and left a texture.

Reactions: Beentown

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Opened a separate account at the CU today to move the remodel budget to. 1. To keep track of the remodel budget and 2. I'm gonna get hit with Capital Gains tax on the sale as we will not have lived there for two years prior to sale. Improvement expenses reduce the capital gain so every penny I can show is less uncle sam gets.

She paid 89k for it and it should sell about 130 leaving a capital gain of roughly $41k. since she's owned it more than a year it'll fall under long term rate of 15%.. I've budgeted 10k on the remodel but believe it will likely be less. This should put CG tax around 4.5k to 6k.

Since the house is 100% in her name and purchased prior to marriage we may be able to pull some married filing separate fuckery so that she qualifies for a CG exemption. That'll be a call for our tax lady to figure out.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Is there an underlayment that you can buzz with a circular saw and pull it all up in chunks. Fugg that!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Is there an underlayment that you can buzz with a circular saw and pull it all up in chunks. Fugg that!

I wish. One layer of peel and stick vinyl tile over a layer of roll linoleum masticked to the subfloor. Thought about ripping up the subfloor but that comes with its own set of problems.