Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The hunt that almost didn't happen...


Super Moderator
Super Mod
Hudson, OH
The hunt that almost didn't happen...

So my wife and I went out last night (which is a rare occasion with Landon) but it was one of my college roommate’s surprise 30th birthday party. Due to not getting out as a couple much we stayed out till 1. I finally got to bed around 1:45 so when the alarm went off at 4:00 I was real close to saying "fugg this...not today!"

But I didn't. I dragged my ass out of bed, filled 2 thermoses with coffee and headed out the door at 4:30 for my 50 min drive.

I get to a good spot in the woods to hear birds and don't hear a thing. Now I am really thinking I should have skipped it. As it is really cracking light I decide to head to the one side of the property and just setup and pray. While walking I hear what I thought was a faint gobble way back across the other side of the property, but probably on the neighbors. I just pause and wait a few minutes and hear him go off again. Game on!

I hustle back across the property. As I near the property line I pull out my box call and put my diaphragm in my mouth. I hit the box once with some soft tree yelps to see if he would respond and too try and get a better gauge on his location. He hammers back and I figure he is about 100 yards off the property. I move in and setup about 50 yards inside the property line and figure I won't shoot beyond that. I take a seat and hit the box again with some soft tree yelps. He hammers back again. I shut up. He comes out of the roost and I catch glimpses of that baseball bobbing through the woods as he is closing the distance. He gobbled 3 times while coming in and I responded to each with the diaphragm. I then lost him behind some thicker stuff. The 4th time he gobbled from the ground I couldn't see him but knew he was close. I putted twice and with that he pops his head out from behind a tree. He was 43 yards away from me. The only thing he was showing from behind the tree was his head and neck. I was debating being patient for him to become more exposed (some briars between us) but he started to look real nervous not seeing a hen. I said, goodnight and let the 870 Express Super Mag Turkey Gun rip. Love the 3 1/2" Winchester Supreme #5's! I knew I would graze the tree he was hiding behind but felt confident with the gun and the ammo.

He folded up and it was all over by about 6:15am.

I just sat with him and watched the rest of the sunrise on a great morning.

2011-04-30 06.37.36.jpg2011-04-30 06.37.18.jpg2011-04-30 06.43.51.jpg2011-04-30 07.02.24.jpg2011-04-30 07.02.04.jpg


Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Congrats buddy. That was a cool story with a great ending :D. Heck of a nice bird right there.

Nice marking of your territory on the side of that tree as well lol.


Dignitary Member
Staff member
Awesome hunt man. Looks like you still had a darn good pattern for it to chew up the tree like that. Nice pics too. Nothing beats a spring sunrise in the turk woods.. Usually means it's not raining. lol.


Bass Whisperer
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Congrats, makes getting out of bed all that much better.... Looks like it turned out to be a nice day as well....


Senior Member
Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Congrats! Great read & love the pics. Especially the on with the sun rising up in the background. You can't kill 'em on the couch. Way to get out & get it done.