Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Log Cabin Shop in Lodi Ohio

Has anyone compared the prices at The Log Cabin Shop, to other custom rifle kits? :unsure:
If so, what were your experiences?

Jim Kibler, Sitting Fox, Jedediah Star, Jim Chambers, Track of the Wolf, to name a few custom kit sales.

I'm looking into building a Southern Mountain flintlock, in 54 caliber. A similar rifle is the Tennessee Bean and the Tennessee Poor Boy.

Your experiences are appreciated, Bowhunter57

After 2 replies and 134 views, it's pretty easy to ascertain that nearly everyone has gone with the newer technology of inline muzzleloaders. Percussion and Flintlocks are a thing of the past for a high percentage of shooters/hunters.

I feel more comfortable being in a store, in person and being able to purchase what I need, as opposed to purchasing unnecessary items to be returned, through the snail mail system. Using quality parts, I should be able to completely build the rifle I want, in a few days.
I'm going make the trip in a few days, buy the parts and get started with the build....then post a few photos when I have it completed.

Bowhunter57

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have hunted off an on with my flintlock for
Over 45 years. It’s a romance that instantly places me in the period as soon as I step into the woods with her.
Any more, for me it’s no longer about the kill but the experience I have with each hunt and the weapon I carry that day. The flintlock does it to me the most.
I hope you find what your looking for in the gun.
I look forward to your updates.

The log cabin shop is a nice shop. They normally have a decent selection of used rifles that might be worth checking out. I have always ordered kits from direct from the manufacturers website. I have built two jim kibler southern mountain rifles for poeple. One .32 and the other .45. As far is kit guns go the jim kibler kit is the best quality and easiest to assemble. There is very little final fitting to do; mostly just finish work. There is room for custumization on these kits. I added some minor relief carving, a pewter hunters star, toe plate and a poured pewter nose cap to the .32 rifle. The .45 i left plain and in the white. Both rifles are very accurate. I am currently deciding if i want to order a jim kibler colonial rifle kit in .50 cal or scratch build a dickert pattern rifle for myself. Jim kiblers southern mountain rifle has a very long thin lolli pop tang for the breech plug. This a very attractive detail. However, It is the most difficult step of assembling this kit. Go slow and make sure to get the tang properly set into the the stock and at the right height for its full length with the breech plug properly and squarely set as well. There is very little material left in this area of the stock to hide any mistakes.
Jim chambers locks and kits are very good quality.
I do not recommend track of the wolf kits. I built a full stock hawken kit close to ten years ago. That kit required more fitting than if i would have carved the stock from a blank. I know many other people that have had the same experiences.
Another shop in Ohio worth checking out is cabin creek muzzleloading. They make a couple kit rifles in house. Shane and brad emig also make custom rifles.
You are going to want to buy a couple sizes and shapes of stock scrapers, and a good quilty files for fitting the the metal parts. Also an inletting candle and some lipstick for fitting wood to metal parts. I do not use commercial available inletting black because it makes a mess. I would recommend a flintlock over a percussion lock to give you the full experience. You seem pretty set on a southern pattern rifle. Most people like to build rifles that are representative of the state they are from. I dont know if that is true for you or not. If that influences your choosing most rifles in ohio during the 1760's-1810's would have been brass mounted not iron mounted.

Last edited:
I spent a good 4 hours at The Log Cabin Shop and listened to some sound advice. Then I took a few moments to be honest with myself and decided that I'd best leave the rifle building skills to someone better suited for the job. :rolleyes: There's a HUGE amount of room to screw-up a perfectly good stock and/or barrel. This would translate into a $900 kit looking like a $400 rifle. o_O At this point in time, I'll pass.

They did have a decent selection of quality used rifles. So, I found one to my liking, purchased a case for it and some shooting accessories. Then I brought it home and had enough time to shoot it a little. :cool: Cleaning it was much simpler than I remembered. I'll be shooting this rifle for a very long time. (y)
It's a Hatfield in 50 caliber, flintlock.

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• Hatfield Flintlock 1.jpg
    Hatfield Flintlock 1.jpg
    730.9 KB · Views: 2,488
  • Hatfield Flintlock 2.jpg
    Hatfield Flintlock 2.jpg
    743.9 KB · Views: 585
Would love to get a .36 caliber to hunt squirrels with.
GoetsTalon,
Depending on how far of a road trip it would be for you, it's a good possibility that they'd have a 36 cal. in stock. 🤔 When I was there, they had another Hatfield, just like the one I purchased and it was in 36 caliber. Ya don't know, unless you call or go there. It's about a 2 hour drive for me, but one day I just decided to go and it was well worth the trip. 💯

Reactions: GoetsTalon