Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The proverbial light bulb just went off

Creamer

Athens
I found a good deal on the Hawk Hangout tree seat at Menard's (of all places) and couldn't pass the chance to snag it for $29. I swapped the tree cleats on it for Lone Wolf cleats from a spare climbing stick after reading some DIY info on this model online. Today was my first time on it. It's heavier than the high-end saddle platforms but still nearly 10lbs lighter than my LW hang on. It's plenty solid enough and I had enough room to move around like I needed to. It's also enough room I could stand vertically on it and really tuck in tight to the tree.

I shot one steeper angle group from it at closer range than I had been shooting from the saddle.

I'm strongly considering stealing a few more parts from that extra LW stick and trying to install a versa button on the seat frame. It would make hanging it a lot more silent than using a ratchet strap. Lighter, too.

Creamer

Athens
I picked up a cheap set of knee pads at Lowe's and played around in the saddle yesterday morning with them on. If you let the tether down a little to where it's like you're sitting with your knees into the tree, it's pretty comfy with the pads on.

Creamer

Athens
Saturday morning was my first official Tree Saddle sit. I hit a chunk of public land for more or less an observation sit between food and bedding. I hit the woods pretty early because it was a lengthy walk in and I didn't want to get too sweaty getting in. This was also my first saddle setup in the dark via headlamp. It went pretty smooth. I used 3 LW sticks and the Hawk Hangout seat I slightly modified into a saddle platform. Setup was easy, pretty quick, and pretty quiet.

I felt like the 3 stick height was pretty good for a trad bow. I was in the 13-14' range up to the platform. I did use the knee pads and did the seated position with knees to the tree until sunup. It was in the mostly dark time just before sunrise that I had two deer walk almost right under me. Too dark to tell what they were, I could just see shapes and hear them. I sat all together about 3.5 hours in the saddle and never got uncomfortable. Yes, I took a selfie stick into the woods.

My immediate takeaways:

-Knee pads are a must, they helped a lot
-Setup is quieter than a hang-on stand, from my experience
-Carrying less physical weight in gear was really nice
-I will upgrade to a nicer platform next year (I just don't like the Hawk attachment method, not sure it can be changed/modified)
-Never felt unsafe
-Never got uncomfortable
-Accessory pouches on the saddle are AWESOME, so nice to keep things close and easy to access

Creamer

Athens
That is a lot of firsts. Have you been out anymore in it?

Friday morning on public again.

The one little chink in the armor I found is that you can't layer up while you're wearing it. If you're going to add a coat after you hike in, you have to do it before you climb the tree. At least with this saddle that's a limitation. Not a huge deal, but I usually like to add any heavy layers after I've been in the tree for a little while and cooled down. Can't do that from the saddle.

Reactions: Big_Holla and Chass

Creamer

Athens
A buddy of mine in town for family stuff/hunting who just bought a new Out on a Limb saddle platform gave me his old DIY platform to try. It's basically a short piece of aluminum tubing, like off of a Lone Wolf stand, with a Lone Wolf seat on the post. It attaches via cinch strap to the seat, when folded up, then it's cammed over to lock it in place. It's lighter than my Hawk Hangout seat I've been using, and most importantly ditches the ratchet strap (which I hate). I messed with it in the back yard last night. I'll probably hunt from it my next saddle trip. Lighter, quieter, a bit more solid.

Creamer

Athens
OK, 1/4 season update. I've hunted from the Tree Saddle quite a bit. On my long hikes in on public, the light weight of the saddle/small platform has been a huge plus. Twice last weekend I did a nearly 1 1/2 mile hike in to hunt a secluded public spot and carrying just a tiny platform and wearing the saddle in helped a ton. Comfort has been great, also. The one time I would tell you all it was not as comfy was when I hunted a tree that had a serious lean. I needed to be on the side of the tree that was leaning pretty hard downhill. This put me at a weird angle and I had to keep the tether really short due to the angle. Other than that, on normal tree setups, I do not begin to get uncomfortable. Situating for shooting has not been an issue, either. Last Friday, when I had a good buck working to my right (the toughest spot for me to shoot), I was able to quietly and quickly turn my back to the tree, stand on the platform, and be ready to shoot.

The most substantial negative I have found, mainly last weekend with colder temps, is that my Trophyline Tree Saddle covers up my jacket and pants pockets. The new Mantis and other saddles that are lower profile might not, but mine does. It's tough to keep my hands warm if I can't access jacket pockets. To remedy this, I found an insulated hand muff online (Sportsman's Guide, under $10), and it arrived last night. I tested it and I can wear it over my saddle, so problem solved.

The other thing I picked up to experiment with is a military surplus pouch. I already have a couple of pouches mounted on the nylon loops of the saddle (they came with it) that house my lineman's rope, tether, and strap on gear hooks. I bought the extra pouch because I want to be able to cut out carrying my backpack all together. The extra pouch will hold my flashlight, knife, headlamp, and tag stuff. It's hard for me to not carry the pack but it would be a huge plus on the long hikes to not have something pressed to my back.

I have zero plans to go back to hunting a hang-on treestand right now.

Well I made the jump into saddle hunting. Tethrd had a sale going on for Black Friday. With the promo code, I got 15% off. Got the complete setup with a Predator platform. Should be here in about a month according to their lead times.

Reactions: Creamer

Creamer

Athens
Got my saddle and platform today. I set it up in the yard at ground level and it seemed pretty good. Might use it this weekend for gun season a little since my son isn't going. I will be solo so I will probably sit more than move around.

I know all the saddle platforms are small, but how "roomy" did the Predator platform feel for you? I'm torn between the Ridge Runner and Predator platforms for next year. Dimensionally, I think the Ridge Runner is wider and might be better for my feet (size 13's), but I'm also a lot more comfortable with the LW style attachment system that the Predator uses.

Also, just out of curiosity, when you wear the Tethrd saddle, can you reach your jacket pockets? Or does it cover them? I'm assuming it's smaller than my old Trophy Line and probably doesn't block pockets like mine does.

I know all the saddle platforms are small, but how "roomy" did the Predator platform feel for you? I'm torn between the Ridge Runner and Predator platforms for next year. Dimensionally, I think the Ridge Runner is wider and might be better for my feet (size 13's), but I'm also a lot more comfortable with the LW style attachment system that the Predator uses.

Also, just out of curiosity, when you wear the Tethrd saddle, can you reach your jacket pockets? Or does it cover them? I'm assuming it's smaller than my old Trophy Line and probably doesn't block pockets like mine does.

I went up a tree tonight with my setup. Was only up there for 5 minutes. The Predator didn't feel too bad, but really hard to say as I haven't had enough stand time to really get an opinion. With the jacket pockets I am not sure either as I didn't try to get in them. LOL. I will say that I felt pretty good up there. With my fear of heights I felt alot better in the saddle than a hangon stand.

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr