Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The things you see on back roads

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
IMAG0041.jpg

roof2 065.jpg

IMAG0030.jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
A new camera 4-5-11 007.jpg

Dense, tan colored muddy water slowly replaces the darker clear water after a heavy rain as it flows down the lake.

new camera 4-5-11 007.jpg

new camera 4-5-11 011.jpg

daleeman

Dayton
Although not a "back road" , I had needed to get out for a bit and started driving. I ended up in Moundsville, W VA at the site of one of the most haunted prisons in the country. It was to late to take the tour but I did circle the outside. It operated from 1876 to 1995. Currently, the site is maintained as a tourist attraction and training facility.

"From 1899 to 1959, ninety-four men were executed. Hanging was the method of execution until 1949 with eighty-five men meeting that fate. The public could attend hangings until June 19, 1931. On that date, Frank Hyer was executed for murdering his wife. However, when the trap door beneath him was opened and his full weight was put onto the noose, he was instantly decapitated. Following this event, attendance at hangings was by invitation only. The last man to face execution by hanging, Bud Peterson from Logan County, lies in the prison's cemetery, as his family refused to claim his body. Beginning in 1951, electrocution became the means of execution. Ironically, the electric chair, nicknamed "Old Sparky", used by the prison was originally built by an inmate there, Paul Glenn. Nine men died in the chair until the state outlawed execution entirely in 1965. The original chair is on display in the facility and is a part of the official tour."

http://www.wvpentours.com/index.htm

Some say part of the haunting is because the 10 acre facility is (in part) built on an Indian burial ground which is located right across the street.

Could we reopen the prison just for one woman, Hillary deserves her own, very own prison.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Awesome pics Jim! What's the story and that long and narrow brick house? Kinda looks like it could of been an old hotel.

I wish I knew. It was on a back road in SW PA. and captured my attention.
I thought it was cool someone had put the money into a roof and was "restoring" the old structure.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
After a hitch working nights in West VA, I had some cool moon shots.

The "Swan Moon" shot from above, lightened up for easier viewing.

The "Bat Moon", also brightened up for your viewing pleasure.

Just "The Moon", as is.

Pre-sunrise looking east in W VA.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Drilling royalties may not always buy you happiness,
But it can buy ya a couple of zebras! :smiley_crocodile: