Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

FYI The Tool & Implement Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
And to think he used to be one of us.

Resized_442e791e-f27a-49ea-866f-d7c5b8eac127_241755660478973.gif

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I’m with Dave. I don’t have nostalgic attachment to tools. Maybe because I’ve never really had any passed on to me. My tools are bought to make my life easier. I love the smell of 2-stroke in the AM too. But I hate mixing fuel, or running out of fuel and having to drive 15 minutes to get it, or tearing apart a carburetor when there are better things I could be doing with my time.

I get it and there is a lot to be said for portability. Life is good when you lose a trailer tire and have an impact with you and don't have to screw with lug wrenches. Or if you need to take the tool to the problem vs the problem to the tool. The convenience factor of those tools are paid for with initial price and lower expected longevity of the tool. I'm sure if someone was to do the math the cost of a battery is probably offset by the lack of need to buy fuel and oil over time.

My weedeater is a 4 stroke, i'd never go back to a 2 stroke weedeater. The only 2 strokes I have now are the chainsaw and blower. Battery isn't really an option for them as the blower doubles as a pesticide fogger, and the saw will be needed if a hurricane hits. I keep a spare carb for the saw just in case, they're only 20 bucks these days. The availability of non-ethanol fuel around here helps a lot though. I just keep 10 gallons of fuel on hand and a big jug of oil mix.

Reactions: jagermeister

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
or tearing apart a carburetor when there are better things I could be doing with my time.

Tearing apart a carburetor. Pfft. That's rookie numbers bro. You gotta get that whole top end off and replace the intake boot. 🤣🤣

Ya know where to stick the knife don't ya fucker. ☹☹☹🤣

In the saws defense though she's seen some hard use over the last 17 years. 15 of those in Ohio where the wood stove was fed daily every winter. $22 dollar fuel and air rebuild kit with carb from Amazon and off for hopefully another 17. The piston still looks nice and shiny and no scores.

20210613_185717.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There are tools I make sure my kids have. Son and daughter. Or son and son in law if the daughter doesn't want them. Here is a spud bar for each of you. You won't need it often. Most of the time it will sit in the corner. When you need it. . . You will thank me.

Chainsaws and impacts? Shoot. Get one of everything. Kids can have whatever lasts. There is a place for gas powered, battery powered and pneumatic. I'm not crunching numbers financially. I'm taking the right one for whatever job I'm doing. Lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm still partial to motors for outdoors lawn and landscape applications, reserving batteries primarily for my stable of Dewalt drills and drivers. My battery powered reciprocating saw is one of my favorite tools of all time, but my gas powered leaf blower gets top spot among tools that contribute to the overall O&M of our place. My dad would never buy a blower because it was "another motor to maintain", but I bought one when we bought our first house. From leaf cleanup, to blowing dog hair out of the garage, to cleaning up after a mow, I run the shit out of that thing. Paid $150 for a Toro at Lowes in 2010 and it's still runs like a top. When it dies, I may move to a battery powered unit based on the recommendations made in this thread.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Slowly but surely obtaining more and more Ryobi equipment... so far so good.

Especially considering the last 2-3 weedeaters either i or the farm have bought have died and the local small engine place refuses to service them. So screw him I'll buy something different.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I gave up working on the saw. Admitted defeat and took it to a shop. First damn thing I've ever taken to a small engine mechanic in my life. Just couldn't get it to run like I want it to. Replaced the carb, tried a different carb, new fuel primer bulb, lines, intake and fuel filter, intake boot. It kept trying to run hot and hard and idled too high. I suspected an air leak but I had gone all through the top end. It would occasionally spit fuel back through the carb to the filter too. The mechanic seemed confident that it was the lower crank seal. I asked him to take a look at the bore and rings while in there. We'll see.

I woke up one morning and counted the number of gas engines that own me. A car, a truck, a push mower, a garden tractor, a rototiller, a weed wacker, main outboard, trolling outboard, a car for the kids, an auger for ice fishing, a snow blower, a leaf blower, a quad...What did I miss?

Could have got rid of most of them by hiring two Mexican Americans like my next door neighbor...

Reactions: Jackalope
I woke up one morning and counted the number of gas engines that own me. A car, a truck, a push mower, a garden tractor, a rototiller, a weed wacker, main outboard, trolling outboard, a car for the kids, an auger for ice fishing, a snow blower, a leaf blower, a quad...What did I miss?

Could have got rid of most of them by hiring two Mexican Americans like my next door neighbor...
Forgot the chain saw!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I hesitate to put a # on the total number of hours I've spent on the business end of a weedeater in the last 20 years, but it's a lot. I've got my favorite choice of string and have used plenty of poly-blades, along with a saw blade and triangle brush blade. When I stopped to buy more poly-blades, which I hate because they curl up and get caught in the head all the time, I saw this hanging on the shelf. I've not seen this style of grass blade before, so I asked the old guy working there what his recommendation was amongst all the brush cutting options and he suggested this. For less than the cost of 2 packs of poly-blades, I picked this up and after running it last night, I may never use polys or the saw blade again! He said it wasn't great for woody stuff, but I beg to differ. It handles stuff up to 2" without hesitation. Sharpening should be a breeze also. I spent an hour trimming up our four-wheeler trail and I'm sold!

20210708_063254.jpg