Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

FYI The Tool & Implement Thread

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
B6DE6F0A-7668-467E-ACAC-2532D452B3F1.jpeg

Got a great deal on this 20v brushless impact gun, now I am asking myself why did you wait so long to get this? This thing works great.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Slick tool man! I've been eyeballing them too. I just can't get past the fact that I already own them in pneumatic form. The only downside is portability.

😅 And there's just something about the bvvvt bvvvvt sound a pneumatic tool makes when working on vehicles.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Slick tool man! I've been eyeballing them too. I just can't get past the fact that I already own them in pneumatic form. The only downside is portability.

😅 And there's just something about the bvvvt bvvvvt sound a pneumatic tool makes when working on vehicles.
Comes down to how you use it and how often you will use it. As a home owner I'm not sure I could justify it. Maybe in Clay's case as his house building could require it and save him a bunch of time. For me to be able to change tires in the field it is handy. Even in the shop changing lawn mower blades daily, the cordless is perfect. Not dragging air hose around is handy. Not having the 220V air compressor kick on as often actually saves money.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Comes down to how you use it and how often you will use it. As a home owner I'm not sure I could justify it. Maybe in Clay's case as his house building could require it and save him a bunch of time. For me to be able to change tires in the field it is handy. Even in the shop changing lawn mower blades daily, the cordless is perfect. Not dragging air hose around is handy. Not having the 220V air compressor kick on as often actually saves money.

oh no I get it. There are times when having one would be nice. I just wish they made one with a speaker that made the bvvt bvvvt sound when you pull the trigger.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I’ve been wanting a yard roller. I should look into this.

On another note… thanks in part to a solid review from Dave @giles, I picked up a Milwaukee cordless string trimmer from Rural King a couple weeks ago. It was on sale. I went ahead and got the Edging attachment for it as well. So far, after 3 uses, I am very pleased with the quality and the battery life. The edger is the cat’s ass. Definitely glad I got it. My driveway looks 20% better with a defined edge along the blacktop.

Jamie

Ohio
I’ve been wanting a yard roller. I should look into this.

On another note… thanks in part to a solid review from Dave @giles, I picked up a Milwaukee cordless string trimmer from Rural King a couple weeks ago. It was on sale. I went ahead and got the Edging attachment for it as well. So far, after 3 uses, I am very pleased with the quality and the battery life. The edger is the cat’s ass. Definitely glad I got it. My driveway looks 20% better with a defined edge along the blacktop.
after doing some research, and listening to my wife bitch about how she can't start anything with a pull starter for 20 years, and all of my lawn tools are getting pretty old now, I took the plunge into battery powered equipment. I'm a Stihl fan for a long time, and didn't really even consider any other brands. I've collected a string trimmer, hand held blower, hedge trimmers, two batteries and one charger over the last month or so. these are the AP series and AP300S batteries recommended for this line of equipment. the blower was the hardest to track down, and probably the most useful to me. after using them all enough to form an opinion, I have to say that the battery life is incredible, and the power of these tools is conceding nothing to their gas powered cousins. I have not even come close to running a battery dead. the trimmer has seen the most run time, with the blower a close second. If the batteries recharge for many years, this will have been a great purchase. The battery blower is especially nice for me, as I actually use it at work for cleaning a deck of debris immediately prior to staining, cleaning up paint chips, etc. the convenience of picking up a tool and simply pulling the trigger to make it work is REALLY nice, especially during my work day. While these do make noise, I don't feel the need to wear hearing protection, and it doesn't "disturb the peace" like the two stroke. I will definitely buy an AP series chain saw eventually.

Got a new Stihl cultivator, too. the "easy pull" starter on these things is amazing, and this is another well made, thoughtfully designed tool that the gardener can use without my help.

so far, A+ for all of it. longevity of batteries remains to be seen, but if cared for properly, I cannot imagine how these don't last for 10 years or more with normal use.