Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The West Virginia 11 point

twireman

Kingston, OH
A good buddy and I were talking deer hunting at work last week. He had mentioned his youngest son and he had been trying to get him on his first deer. They had hunted a small patch close to their house with not much luck. I offered to give the young man a chance to shoot his first deer outta the Taj Mahal. He was very thankful for the opportunity and we decided last evening would be the hunt.

My brother and his daughter had hunted the other side of the property yesterday morning so he dumped a little corn out in front of the blind and the stage was set.
IMG_0504.jpg

I told home to bring his other son along cause there are 3 chairs up there and plenty of room. Also he needed a camera man anyways. His oldest was pumped to be included to boot.

So yesterday around 230 my son and I drove em up to the Taj and went back to Dads to wait for a text. Round 4 o’clock he texted and said his boy had shot one!!
IMG_0505.jpg

We gave it 30 minutes and I drove back up to get a game plan together. Josh had already found some blood so I kept the boys back as he tracked.
IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

We ended up finding the deer bedded down against a tree. He finally got up wobbly and we lost sight of him. After some back and forth we decided to come back this morning. We recovered his first buck about 80 yards from where we saw him last nite.

It was a great evening. We had 4 boys there between 9-11 and the other 3 had all killed deer before and were sharing their deer stories with each other as they killed a pizza. Hearing it come from their mouths gave us all a good chuckle. Memories were definitely made to last a lifetime.

Of course the beast decided to die in one of the deepest gulleys southern Ohio has to offer. I think dragging a deer uphill should almost become an Olympic sport!!!
IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg