Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

These Old Guns

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
After soaking and cleaning the stock I glued the cracks and placed in a video for the glue to dry.

Once the stock is good and dry I will start finish sanding and restaining it and the fore grip.

Overall so far I am pleased with the progresd. I still have all the small parts to go through and clean up.
IMG_20200126_135914109.jpg

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Got a couple more things done yesterday evening.

First I took all the small parts and put them in a vinegar bath. They are all in much better shape than the barrel.

I then turned my attention back to the stock and fore grip. I sanded them down as much as I felt comfortable. Working my way up to 400 grit then steel wool. I didn't want to sand to much as the stock and fore grip have the engraved criss cross pattern that I did not want to lose.

After sanding and wiping down I started the stain process. This will be a 3 step process. Starting out with a walnut stain then after that dries will go to tru-oil and finish with a sheen & conditioner.

Here they are after multiple coats of stain.
IMG_20200128_183556737.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I use a lot of 0000 steel wool when bringing back an old motorcycle that has been sitting for years. Works very well on chrome and such.

Reactions: Quantum673