Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ticks 🤬

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I got bit last year in Kentucky middle of my back once I found it when I got home I couldn't just leave it alone and nobody was there to pull it so I ended up getting it out but wasn't sure about the head, was sore and irritated for a few days doctor put me on antibiotics and now a year later It still bugs me from time to time even itches and if I get to scratching it will open up they said it looked like it was scaring over but never gave me an answer on why it's like that so I never went back to the doctor.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Brought back a damn hitchhiker from Strouds.

20220514_233723.jpg

Nice Lone Star Tick

Last edited:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Had one crawling up the arm rest on the couch soon after I sat down the other day. First one I can recall having on me since Mingo.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Had two on my jeans on Thursday. I can say for certain that off brand tick repellent doesn't work. They were crawling directly on it. I had pyrethrin but also had the off. Now I know.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I pull one off the dog about once a month. Luckily nothing on me so far. But she goes a lot more areas than I do on a daily basis.

Reactions: Mike

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
IMG_5661.jpeg

we have tics but nothing like y’all do. I can stomach any bug or even snakes but not tics. I hung all my clothes for turkey hunting at the camp and made my own mix of permethrin mixing 8 oz per gallon in a back pack sprayer. Was at the camp for 2 weeks scouting and hunting. Only had a tick on my pants the first day before I sprayed my gear. Everything was sprayed real good and they were wet w completed coverage. No ticks after the first day and only had a couple redbug bites on my neck. There is absolutely no reason not to. Bought the 10% permethrin and like I said 8oz per gallon.

For the record, while I was on YouTube trying to figure out the ratio, they said it was used on small infants for some type of rash.

A few random appends to consider- working for the utility we deal with these things all day most days and a daughter (despite being more of an indoor kid) with Lyme brought me into this mess deeper.

Spraying varies with application. Aerosol gets better coverage, but a small pump sprayer or a dip saturates. This has a lot to do with longevity, as does moisture exposure after Permethrin is dry.

Getting the inside of your pant leg bottoms, belt loop/waist and boots helps.

Using both an insecticide and a repellent helps a bunch.

Mosquitoes aren't as creepy as ticks but are nasty sluts of disease as well.

There are lot of tick diseases and the symptoms vary. One person may be mildly effected, the next chair bound.

I have sound the Permethrin liquid applied with a small pump sprayer and then Off or Picaridin to do well.