Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Time to Mow!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's been about 5 or 6 weeks since I've seen my food plots, so I took a trip down there yesterday to check things out. Last time I'd been there, the canadian oats were still only 4 or 5 inches tall and the clover was just barely popping through the soil. Needless to say, all the rain we've had the past month has really got things growing! Now, the oats are pushing 3 feet tall and the clover underneath is 8-12" as well. Obviously the oats are no longer palatable for the deer at this stage, so I really need to bush-hog this thing so my clover can take off. I didn't have the time to do it yesterday, though... and the path up the hill was soaking wet anyway. Hopefully my stepdad can get on it for me soon!

plot1.jpg

plot2.jpg

A closeup of the clover... just waiting for some breathing room...
plot3.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks, man. I just wish I wasn't an hour away from this property! It really hinders my ability to work on certain things... especially with gas prices being where they are. If I could mow that thing today, I just know the deer would go bonkers over all that new growth that pops up!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Nice start to those plots. You were lucky to get the plots in with all the rain we had. We tried to put in a strip of corn mid-May next to a clover plot for cover. It rained for days after and the corn never came up in the muddy ground.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice start to those plots. You were lucky to get the plots in with all the rain we had. We tried to put in a strip of corn mid-May next to a clover plot for cover. It rained for days after and the corn never came up in the muddy ground.

Actually this plot was planted last fall, about the first week in September. You're right though, I would have to be extremely lucky to get something planted this spring, as wet as it was.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I thought the clover looked mature for a spring planting, but with the rain I wouldn't doubt any plant growth this year. What are you going to do with this plot in the fall..keep it or replant? I like the late season attractiveness of the cereal grains in fall planted plots. Have you noticed a difference vs clover only plots if you have planted them?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I thought the clover looked mature for a spring planting, but with the rain I wouldn't doubt any plant growth this year. What are you going to do with this plot in the fall..keep it or replant? I like the late season attractiveness of the cereal grains in fall planted plots. Have you noticed a difference vs clover only plots if you have planted them?

I haven't planted any clover-only plots, so I really don't have much knowledge to compare them. However there is a field at this farm (old hay field) that is loaded with clover and attracts a ton of deer. I can't use it as a fair comparison either because it's a 15 acre field.

This plot in the pics is a new plot, planted in virgin ground last fall. I haven't spread any fertilizer on it, so I'm planning on tilling the clover under this fall. Last fall the attraction of the oats and rye were so-so... so I'm going to hopefully add brassicas to the mix this fall. I just haven't made up my mind whether I'm going to plant cereal grains, clover, AND brassica... or just clover and brassica. I'm leaning toward planting it all, though... give the deer a buffet of food to choose from.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My stepdad mowed the plot last week, apparently. I went down there today to check the cam and pull down a couple stands.... The clover is really going to take off here in about a week. The ground is just covered in new-growth clover! I can't wait to see what it looks like the week of July 4th!