Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO 2011 Golf Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I know there's been a few guys on the course already, so it's time to get things rolling!!!

I'm headed out for my first 9 of the year here in a bit at a course I've been playing since I was in junior golf back in the late 80's. I'm interested to see how the weight loss/muscle gains hurts/helps me. I have a lot more flexibility this year, so I'm hoping I can generate some more club speed and get back to my old heavy hitter days.

Who's been out and how's it looking?

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
My golf league starts next thursday and my first golf outing is Sunday...if the rain holds out long enough for us....

I'm ready to get to it this year. I have been debating on taking lessons just to make sure that whats happening is my mechanics or just my mental aspect of the game. I know I can be low 40's again...last year I didnt break 50...HORRIBLE!!! for me.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm looking into lessons myself. All my life, I've had people tell me "you have a beautiful swing" that know what they are talking about. Yet, I continue to suck and it drives me nuts! How can I have a nice swing and suck ass as bad as I do?!? My best round was my second or third round last year when I shot an 82. I was loose and playing natural, which is when I play best. The more I play, the more I tweak things and I end up fuggin' my mechanics and the mental part of my game. This year, I'm playing loose again!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
racking your brain in mechanics will kill you everytime....Dont think, just swing...Thats gonna be my motto this year.

happygilmore.jpg

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
2yrs. ago I bought a brand new set of Titleist irons,hybrid woods,and driver,only been out 3 times with them though,,since I bought my boat I don't play as often,,I like golf but the cost to play is getting to high

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've been on the course once this year, but I've been to the range several times. I have a terrible slice with the driver, and I've been working hard on getting it straightened out. I bought a new Nike Straight Fit Driver, and that has helped me some, but I still need work. I hit my irons very well, so if I can hit a decent tee shot, it should help me improve my game dramatically. Also need to practice up on short little loft shots with the wedge. I have a hard time swinging through the ball when I'm close. I just wanna stab at it.

I'll be done with work for seven days here in two hours, and I'm hoping to hit the course several times during my time off. I'd really like to see some improvement in my golf game.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I've been on the course once this year, but I've been to the range several times. I have a terrible slice with the driver, and I've been working hard on getting it straightened out. I bought a new Nike Straight Fit Driver, and that has helped me some, but I still need work. I hit my irons very well, so if I can hit a decent tee shot, it should help me improve my game dramatically. Also need to practice up on short little loft shots with the wedge. I have a hard time swinging through the ball when I'm close. I just wanna stab at it.

I'll be done with work for seven days here in two hours, and I'm hoping to hit the course several times during my time off. I'd really like to see some improvement in my golf game.

I can think of a couple of things I use to do that made me slice bad. The ball would go great for the first 150 yards and then make a 90 degree right turn lmao.

1) I was stretching my club out to far away from my body on my swing cuasing my to bring the club across the back of the ball from right to left
2) was my grip. I didn't hold the club tight enough and the clubface would twist and open up at the point of contact.

Man you guys are going to make it even harder for me to resist playing. I haven't swung a golf club in 2 years just because I didn't want to push my luck with my lower back lol. I might have to swing a club just to say I tried and see what happens if I keep reading this thread lol.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I have done two different things so far this year that seem to be helping. First, I turned my front wrist in so that I wasn't rotating my wrists as much through the swing. Then, I moved the ball up even with my front foot. That helped straighten my drive out a bunch, but I wasn't making contact with the sweet spot every time. To fix that, I get my grip set with my front hand, then "settle" in on the ball before bringing my back hand up to the club.

I know my stance and swing must be awful, but I'm not looking to become a tour pro. I just want to drive the ball straight and work on hitting the spot with my irons. I don't need to be great to enjoy the game. Good is good enough for me...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have done two different things so far this year that seem to be helping. First, I turned my front wrist in so that I wasn't rotating my wrists as much through the swing. Then, I moved the ball up even with my front foot. That helped straighten my drive out a bunch, but I wasn't making contact with the sweet spot every time. To fix that, I get my grip set with my front hand, then "settle" in on the ball before bringing my back hand up to the club.

I know my stance and swing must be awful, but I'm not looking to become a tour pro. I just want to drive the ball straight and work on hitting the spot with my irons. I don't need to be great to enjoy the game. Good is good enough for me...

With my driver I had to move the ball one ball width in front of my front foot. I would also take my driver and put the club head on the ground before placing my hands. Just one of those things that worked for me. I shot mid 80's and the lowest 9 hole was a 37 but since I haven't been out in so long I would be lucky to shoot under 100 now lol. It was always about going out and hanging with friends and having a good time laughing our asses off at one another lol.

Have you ever used that ball striker tape you can put on the club face to see where your ball is hitting ? It might be helpful for you to be able to get the timing down in your swing to hit the sweet spot a little more often.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I probably won't make it out for a couple weeks yet, the courses around here are still pretty sloppy and in not very good shape. I usually make it out 6 or 7 times throughout the season and maybe a couple of golf outings a year.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like golf courses. I think they would make excellent hare scrambles tracks for my dirt bikes!

Other than that, I do own a set of golf clubs. Last time I golfed they tried to make me leave because I was wearing blue jean shorts with my Justin ropers. Geesh. I have seen what some of those guys wear. Ridiculous of them to accuse me of not having the proper attire. Not sure why they were so pissed when I slid the golf cart to a screeching halt at the end of the front nine either. Golfers are too friggin' up tight for me I guess.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I like golf courses. I think they would make excellent hare scrambles tracks for my dirt bikes!

Other than that, I do own a set of golf clubs. Last time I golfed they tried to make me leave because I was wearing blue jean shorts with my Justin ropers. Geesh. I have seen what some of those guys wear. Ridiculous of them to accuse me of not having the proper attire. Not sure why they were so pissed when I slid the golf cart to a screeching halt at the end of the front nine either. Golfers are too friggin' up tight for me I guess.

You just never played on the right course with the right people lol. We use to race each other down the fairway, do doughnuts, slide the cart sideways, and on occasion do a little mud hole running lmao. I think we liked driving the carts more then driving the ball most days lol.