Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Great updates guy, things are looking good!

Finally got tomatoes in last weekend. We were behind this year so threw in a cheater plant (2' already), to get some sooner than later. Boys got some interactive herb kits each and they have germinated nicely. Need to get them transplanted into some larger containers.

Jaime, please show us the cold frame in greater detail when you get a chance or when you start to use it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm glad to see some of you younger guys so excited about gardening and canning and stuff. much virtue in all of it.

Not one of the young guys, not quite one of the old guys, but thanks. I enjoy some of it. My wife enjoys the canning at first. By the end of the season it is a chore. Sort of like butchering your own deer. Takes time but months later when you pull some canned goods or thaw some frozen deer burger you are really glad you took the time to do it right.

Jamie

Ohio
I ain't quite one of the old guys either. at least that's what I keep telling myself. lmao

probably won't put the cold frame on until middle or end of October. hopefully, I have it made by then.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Everything is starting to really take off this week. The tomatoes are still behind but I will only be a little late for harvest.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
You guys are all hi-tech where I am just redneck. Dirt, proper fertilizer and plant. Lol

Tend weeds until august then let it go because I get tired of messing with it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You guys are all hi-tech where I am just redneck. Dirt, proper fertilizer and plant. Lol

Tend weeds until august then let it go because I get tired of messing with it.

Buy Milo an icy pop at the next softball game and he will give you some hi-tech tips. Well. . . .I am sure he will give you at least "the" tip. mischeif.gif

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Going to put up the feed lot panels for the cucumbers tonight. First buds from the zucchini have opened. Seems it should be a decent year.

This is the first year that the raised beds aren't doing better than the tilled plot above.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I got tired of trying to amend clay soil unsuccessfully for 18 years. It's better, but it's still clay. Raised beds are the way to go around here.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Quite possibly the best start we have ever had. Hoping it holds on for the whole season. If I can keep my wife from over watering it, it should do alright I think.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I got tired of trying to amend clay soil unsuccessfully for 18 years. It's better, but it's still clay. Raised beds are the way to go around here.

I'm disappointed in our soil this year and do not expect the results I had last year. I really need to do some serious work on it this fall and early next year.

Yesterday I went over at lunch to water. Our local Dollar General has some decent hoses/nozzles/fittings in stock, so I picked up 2 new soaker hoses ($8 each) to go with the two I had, along with 50' of hose, a new nozzle, two Y fittings and a sprinkler. For less than $30, I have a pretty solid watering setup now. The $4 sprinkler almost completely covers the corn and now my mom with all her ailments, can help me water which is a huge help.

My soaker hoses will water all the peppers and tomatoes in about 2 hours.

Last night we went over after dinner to plant some bush pickles I picked up when I went after marigolds. The girls helps plant marigolds while I tied up tomatoes and planted the pickles.

Our other "garden" is starting to produce as well. We have several wild black raspberries plants around the edge of our yard. We picked the first batch of the year last night, then froze them and had them on ice cream when we got home from the garden. My daughter was pretty happy to have them as a treat!

Buckmaster

Portage
Is that landscaping mat or plastic?

Any issues with rabbits getting through that wire? That wouldn't work at my house.

Vacation got in the way and I never got to lay down straw. Looks like I'll be tilling some grass under before it gets too far out of hand.
19-19-19 fertilizer definitely has a way of making the weeds and grasses grow like mad.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I used cheap fabric last year and regretted it. My mom used this stuff for years and I trust it'll do the job. If not, next year I'm buying mulch or using straw. I'll do a little weeding, but have my limits.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Skip the mulch unless fine ground. I used the chunkier black stuff (Scott's Earthgro) the last two years and it effects tilling and planting.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Didn't think about that much. Guess I'll find out after this season. I can always rake it into the aisles between my planter beds and add fresh next year I guess.