Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Definitely been another very wet year so far. Been like this the last several years it seems like with a 10-12 week drought soon to follow here in a month or so. Y’all gonna enjoy some great veggies this harvest. Can’t wait till I retire so I can do some raised beds and have more time to dedicate towards them. Thanks for sharing everyone.👍🏻

Reactions: 5Cent and MoonLab

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Here’s all I’ve got to contribute. I started this thornless blackberry patch next to our landscaping last year and have used all of my grass clippings this year for week control. Now that the crab grass has come on I’m not sure I’ll be able continue doing it due to the doubled volume. I’ll prolly going to have to spray crab grass killer before it gets out of hand. Anywho, here’s my patch of 8 plants. Wish the berries all ripen at the same time. So far just a handful every other weeks but many yet to come.
C665A6D9-A733-4F16-85EC-B0F79470D42B.jpeg

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Got the swamp drained just in time for severe storms tomorrow AM, lmao!

20210728_184607.jpg

Tiller got a good workout
20210728_184727.jpg

Total flood damage is too high to count plant wise, but sunflowers, pole beans, bush beans, watermelons, pumpkins, and corn all took a beating!

20210728_184341.jpg

20210728_184420.jpg

On a positive note, cucumbers and peppers keep producing, maters are growing very well and just got another dose of crushed eggshells tonight, and the beans, watermelons, pumpkins and corn that wasn't impacted are holding their own.

20210728_184256.jpg

Damn fence still needs another 20% 🤣

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wife said the garden was done. Got a blight. She gave up on it. The freak it is. Do some weeding. Give it some love. Salvage what we can. So. . . I did. At least I did 4/6 planters.

Also had a killer load of peaches on our two trees. They aren't even great trees. Never sprayed them. They have scale all over them. Yet, here we are. Had to pick the one limb just so it didn't split the tree.
PXL_20210728_004545310.jpg
PXL_20210728_005513292.jpg
PXL_20210728_005503861.jpg

PXL_20210726_190545640.jpg
PXL_20210726_190533335.jpg

PXL_20210726_190557207.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
our garden was pretty much a total loss last year. did not can any beans or tomatoes. froze some peppers and enjoyed what little we had while we had it. after some major fertilizing and very aggressive tilling last fall and prior to planting this spring, our garden is now about to take over half of the township. gone completely berserk. everything in abundance this year. our peppers were struggling while drowning for a month and half, but are coming on now. put up 12 quarts of beans this morning. will have that many more in a day or two. these Fortex pole beans are amazing producers. best I've tried growing. I was at full draw on a half grown rabbit 10 feet away from me in the garden a few days ago. I'm getting soft. couldn't do it. I guess there is enough this year to share a little. 🙄

Nancy been doing helluva job keeping the weeds down and picking stuff, replanting lettuce and stuff. her baby this year.

the trellis on the far left is 6 feet tall.
IMG_3480.jpg

IMG_3481.jpg

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
our garden was pretty much a total loss last year. did not can any beans or tomatoes. froze some peppers and enjoyed what little we had while we had it. after some major fertilizing and very aggressive tilling last fall and prior to planting this spring, our garden is now about to take over half of the township. gone completely berserk. everything in abundance this year. our peppers were struggling while drowning for a month and half, but are coming on now. put up 12 quarts of beans this morning. will have that many more in a day or two. these Fortex pole beans are amazing producers. best I've tried growing. I was at full draw on a half grown rabbit 10 feet away from me in the garden a few days ago. I'm getting soft. couldn't do it. I guess there is enough this year to share a little. 🙄

Nancy been doing helluva job keeping the weeds down and picking stuff, replanting lettuce and stuff. her baby this year.
This post needs pictures

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Looks like fresh salsa is in my near future.

Just picked a good bunch moments ago in our tiny little garden. Nothing like what many of you guys have going on, but it's something I do every year, just so the wife can make up some of her awesome salsa.

I used to do much larger beautiful gardens when I had more mouths to feed, but now my boys are grown men, off doing their own thing in life.

Anyways,,, thought I'd contribute my tiny little harvest from the garden. More peppers and tomatoes should be available rather soon. Perhaps in another week or two.

20210809_103455 (1).jpg