Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
As we cross 2" of rain in the last 5 days, I can only hope the forecast stays the course they have it on currently. The brocolli needs to get into the ground, as I struggle to find the right light intensity for them compared to the tomatoes, peppers, watermelons, etc.

20230503_072859.jpg

20230503_072914.jpg

I'm pleasantly surprised that seeds saved from a Crimson Sweet Watermelon are germinating. Now to see if it's a hybrid or not, and if it grows any fruit🤣

20230503_072953.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I love my maters. Gonna snip off tops this year so the sonsabitches don’t grow 9’tall! Lol
Saw something on YouTube I might try implementing in keeping stakes more sturdy.
The pepper varieties consist of
Sweet Banana
Jalapeños
Big Berthas

Maters
Beef Steak Early Girl
Big Boy. Big Boy
Hillbilly. Better Boy
Brandywine

Last two I’m experiencing with to see if I likey, if not I’ll load up on the other two next year.
I might stick some cilantro and onion sets in the ground as well. Running out of room. Lmao

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Typically I'd be ready to plant by mother's day, but we can't catch a break with the rain again this year. Between work, coaching softball, and grad school, I'm afraid this might be an exercise in futility. But I got it turned over pretty good tonight after 3 weeks trying to get it wrapped up. I'm hoping to see plants/seed hit the dirt in the next 10-14 days!

20230510_200158.jpg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I’m curious how you all harden your plants. I’ve never had issue in past but dad had a few get set back. Curious what you all do?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
No
I’m curious how you all harden your plants. I’ve never had issue in past but dad had a few get set back. Curious what you all do?
i just assumed the neighbor who grew them in his greenhouse out back acclimated them a few weeks before setting them out on his roadside stand. Good question though Al.👍🏻

Reactions: at1010

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I like to take it slow with indoor grown seedlings. Sun will scorch em quick if they have been on artificial light 100% of the time.

Day 1: 15mins indirect sun
Day 2: 15mins in sun
Day 3: 25mins in sun
Day 3: 45mins in sun
Day 4: 1hr in sun
Day 5: 2hrs
Day 6: 4hrs.
Day 7: 1/2 Day
Day 8: Full

Brocolli in front 2 tubs is ready to go in the ground as soon as I get the clover tilled in.

The maters and peppers are on Day 6 but will stay in garage and be taken out daily for another 1-1.5wks. They don't like anything 50* and below for night time temps, I feel it stumps em.

20230512_082917.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have used it on tomatoes and my peppers. Seems to help. Just don't mix it with water and spray it on the plants. I just sprinkle it on the soil around the plants
Wife read it somewhere, she wanted too give it a try. Figured I’d ask some of the more experienced folks too see if it’s legit or not.

Reactions: JARHEAD