Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Quotation. If you are going to fence in a horse shoe shaped raised bed, why not just fence in your garden?
Because if I do that, I could no longer get a truck and trailer into my backyard or to my barn. The raised beds would be relocated so that doesn't happen. I'd have already fenced in the garden if that wasn't the case.

Stressless

Keene, OH
First batch of okra into the brine yesterday, fermentation. Okra, peppers and dill seed from the garden.
20240714_132117.jpg

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
@Ohiosam , do pumpkins and watermelon cross pollinate? I'm finding mixed results in my research and memory says no. I have to go back and check some interesting looking fruit I saw this AM lol.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Things are finally popping here at NLA. Couple cucumbers, and a bunch of cherry tomatoes so far have been harvested in the last week, with the big maters starting to turn. May and June were great from a precip. standpoint, but July has been dry. Gave em a drink last night and again this AM, hoping mother nature helps later in the week. I'm still happy with the rye and the permanent rows, but the amount of crabgrass and weeds that can grow in a 2-3" wide exposed strip amazes me lol.

The leftover corn seeds did not germinate well for the 3 sister mounds, so no beans planted this year either.

Watermelons are taking off and starting to flower, pumpkins growing good in multiple locations. The amount of volunteer sunflowers, pumpkins, watermelons and tomatoes both in the garden/patch and in the disposal area by the chicken coop that naturally took off is hilarious.

20240730_072029.jpg

20240730_072045.jpg

20240730_072013.jpg

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Anyone have any experience wirh fungus knats? I understand they don't hurt grown plants, but they were all over the tomato plants when harvesting this evening. Could be coincidence seeing them for first time with permanent rows this year, but worth asking.

With no brocolli in the early season, no neem oil or insecticides have been applied to date. Wouldn't mind keeping it that way if possible, but doubtful.

Reactions: JARHEAD

JARHEAD

Behind you
No fungus gnats but seems like the skeeters are all over my bush beans. I'm assuming it cuz their blocking the sun ,mostly, from the soil and it's the wettest place around right now.

Reactions: 5Cent