Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Homesteading

Buckmaster

Portage
My Craigslist local chicken coup was $550 for a half rotted out 4x4x8. I’m looking for something around $.13 cents as my local Raptor, Coyote, Racoon, and opossum population is looking forward to my idea. What are the cheaper alternatives for shelter? I’m willing to buy an experimental dozen but I have a feeling none will make it 12 months in my woods with my critters.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Why half ass it? Either do it and do it right, keeping them safe, or save yourself the time and spare the chickens. It doesn't take a ton of $ to build a decent coop, especially if you get creative and resourceful.

Reactions: Big_Holla

rooster85

Lake County
I'd recommend it if they're going to winter in there. Running a heat lamp will be necessary when it gets into the low 20s and below. You can run an extension cord obviously, but having power there is nice.

I never give my birds heat and I have never lost any to the cold. I keep their coop draft free and keep their bedding dry. Egg production obviously drops but that’s the biggest issue during winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5Cent

Buckmaster

Portage
It doesn't take a ton of $ to build a decent coop, especially if you get creative and resourceful.
Working on this. I go over the top on everything...except this topic. I live in the middle of 100 acres. Lots of critters. I’d rather start with a $100 shed and spend $2k later if successful against critters.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
All you need is a wood frame and wrap in wire. Best to put a cover over the coop, tin would work fine. Build 3 nesting boxes and run a couple poles across for them to roost on. Frame out a door and some hinges. Ten chickens will do fine on there own as the cuddle when roosting. We put plastic tarps to keep cold wind off them in the winter.

Buckmaster

Portage
It tried to attack my mouser cat therefore I ran it over with my F350 and turned it into BBQ coon tacos during our current food deficiencies. I have some left overs for tomorrow if family and friends are hungry. I set up a picnic table in my driveway for family/friends to indulge. Everyone is welcome to enjoy the feast.

Last edited:
Reactions: giles and Cogz

Cogz

Cogz
TX
It tried to attack my mouser cat therefore I ran it over with my F350 and turned it into BBQ coon tacos during our current food deficiencies. I have some left overs for tomorrow if family and friends are hungry. I set up a picnic table in my driveway for family/friends to indulge. Everyone is welcome to enjoy the feast.
I can see the same thing playing out at my place...

Reactions: giles and "J"

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
All you need is a wood frame and wrap in wire. Best to put a cover over the coop, tin would work fine. Build 3 nesting boxes and run a couple poles across for them to roost on. Frame out a door and some hinges. Ten chickens will do fine on there own as the cuddle when roosting. We put plastic tarps to keep cold wind off them in the winter.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Almost a month old and almost a bag of feed down. Consumption will grow as they get bigger. It is kind of nice knowing you have some control and also some liberation from the rat race. I’ve been researching raising quail for meat and pickled eggs. This will happen as soon as the new chickens can be released in the chicken coop.

Last edited: