Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Homesteading

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Pulled the chicks out of the incubator. They claim you can lockdown the eggs again and might get a handful more so I did. Final count is 115 eggs and 69 chicks. These next couple days will tell the tale if I’m gonna lose any.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Update: I’ve lost one each day for two days, none today. Friday I picked up most of the supplies to build the pens. Was supposed to rain earlier today but didn’t so I began building the first pen. They should be 8’x3’. I carefully cut my wood and was fixing the put the wire on. Mutha fracker! I made it 8’x4’. Took one side off and measured to cut the cross pieces to fit 3’. Went to put it together and I didn’t account for the wood depth on the other side #}{^+!>~<€. Now it’s raining it’s ass off and I’m sitting here pissed under the porch.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Update: I’ve lost one each day for two days, none today. Friday I picked up most of the supplies to build the pens. Was supposed to rain earlier today but didn’t so I began building the first pen. They should be 8’x3’. I carefully cut my wood and was fixing the put the wire on. Mutha fracker! I made it 8’x4’. Took one side off and measured to cut the cross pieces to fit 3’. Went to put it together and I didn’t account for the wood depth on the other side #}{^+!>~<€. Now it’s raining it’s ass off and I’m sitting here pissed under the porch.
Shit happens.... Regroup, fix and enjoy.... 👍🏼

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
At 8x4 leaves less lumber scraps and a bigger cage.

Yes but you can’t reach to the back. I bought 12’s so I’d have less scraps.

And I was gonna make 12’ pen and divide it by 3 but the ole lady said she wanted them in a different place so I went 8’. It’s a journey, I just like finishing a project when I start and this rain is holding me up.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll definitely be on a learning curve with the canning. Looking good Jesse!

It's less about the "how to" and more about the process IMO. The only pressure canning I do is version, everything else is a waterbath. I freeze my beans and corn, only blanching the corn. Both get vac sealed. Pickles, mustard, salsa, jams, and jelly, all get water baths. Mise en place is a French culinary phrase which means "putting in place" or "everything in its place". (Yes, I stole that from Google.) Point being, having all your ducks in a row before you even start the process is the most critical step, and what takes some trial and error. The biggest learning curve for me was not only getting my mise en place figured out, but the timing. Timing is different than cooking in terms of getting the process to flow properly. Executing on that comes with practice. When I started, I expected canning to be more difficult than it really is, but it's not that bad.

I'm about to do some ordering of essentials for canning. Need to do an inventory of how many Mason jars I have and figure out what else I need. Canning pot, tongs, lids, etc. are on my list. I will likely freeze beans and peas if they amount to anything, otherwise they'll likely end up on the dinner table each time they get picked.

Hope to can:
Salsa, spaghetti sauce, peppers, hot pepper mustard (gotta get that recipe!), spicy pickles and dill pickles. We shall see....

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
The quail are in their pen now. Didn’t take a pic but will try to remember tomorrow to take one. 33 on one side and 32 in the other. They looked a little freaked out w just the wire bottom and ground 3’ underneath. I imagine tomorrow it will be an old thing and will be running around.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Update: checked on them this morning and they running around like they should be. I got a text from the wife that one died. It was a runt, we had two of them and another just a little bigger than the runts. Not sure what’s gonna happen, but the runt seems to be okay this evening but the medium size looks like the next one for the countdown [emoji107]. I’m figuring it out that is normal so I’m not upset and also have enough birds to have a new hatch after they start laying.