Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Homesteading

Outside

Ever try frying potatoes in beef tallow? It's worth it. Pork Fat is a little bit hotter, but just as good!

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Second batch of pickled quail eggs in crab boil

So if you remember me bitching about peeling the eggs we tried something different. After boiling, cool them down w cold water. After they cooled we drained the water and covered in vinegar. The acidity in the vinegar eats the shell off only leaving the membrane to peel off. Much much easier and only 1 egg donated to breaking.

There is a couple other methods I watched on YouTube, put in a jar w a inch of water and shake for 15 seconds and peel. It looked much easier than the conventional way.

The other way was racking the egg and using the top of fingernail clippers to slip under the shell. Didn’t look that bad but better than conventional.

I have eggs on lockdown and should start hatching tomorrow (fingers crossed). I am not collecting for another incubation and got 19 eggs today. Will do another 5 day collection and should’ve able to set 90 or so.

Last edited:

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
It’s not that bad. Ain’t much work except for feeding and watering. Peeling eggs I think I have the method now. Plucking birds is much easier w scolding first. I’m not up to full speed yet. Today I will install some lights w a timer so the birds get 14 hours of daylight to produce eggs. Currently we at the minimum at 12 hours. Day light hours are getting shorter now.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Well I feel like I hit the lottery. A coworker also works at Walmart and I asked him to get me ball jars. Today, 2 weeks later he calls me and says they have the size you want. Told him to put them in a cart and walk around w them so they wouldn’t get picked up. So, I went right there and bought 10 cases. Online people are selling them for 30$ a case. I paid 96$ w tax.