Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Homesteading

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Did some dumpster diving at the new house (previous owner has been moving stuff out)... Found a nice stash of antique Ball mason jars, and some others that say “Kern” on them. Gotta do some research on them. Not sure if they have any value or if I should try canning with them. They feel like the glass is thinner than today’s canning jars. And I scored 4 more cast iron skillets... 3 Griswolds and 1 Wagner.

591AF682-32F0-4F79-B5D5-DA60EFD34FC5.jpeg
ADF28243-5C3B-422A-B741-3648307A466C.jpeg
28D904D8-4F73-483A-AFB7-D9ACAE36A9FA.jpeg

Last edited:
Plan on smoking some hardboiled eggs tomorrow, so have to boil and peel fresh eggs (,<24 hours old). Anyone who's tried to get perfectly peeled fresh eggs knows the pain that can be. A guy gave me directions for no hassle peeled fresh eggs (ya right). Gave it a try and got 12 perfectly peeled eggs.

-place eggs into already boiling water and boil for 15 minutes
-drain pot and refill pot (eggs in it) half way full of cold water
-immediately start peeling the eggs underwater

Plan on smoking some hardboiled eggs tomorrow, so have to boil and peel fresh eggs (,<24 hours old). Anyone who's tried to get perfectly peeled fresh eggs knows the pain that can be. A guy gave me directions for no hassle peeled fresh eggs (ya right). Gave it a try and got 12 perfectly peeled eggs.

Our go-to is boil for 10 minutes, shut the burner off and let set for 5 then put the pan in the sink and turn the cold water on and cool for a while. Tap the big end on the counter and peel from there. Usually come out real nice til you get that one or two that won't cooperate LOL!

Never had smoked eggs though, will be interesting to hear how they turn out!!

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.

Or just use a instapot. Shaking the eggs in a glass jar w water after its boiled works well also.