Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Turkey Report '18

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I figure since Tall Chad has been getting everyone worked up over calls and strikers for the past couple of months, there's no time like the present to start talking 2018 turkey plans and reports. These 4 are all sporting 8" or better beards and should be the ones I chase after on the farm this year. I've never filled both tags, but that's the goal this year. If I don't change jobs between now and then, I'll be off the first week of the season and plan to hit it hard.

So what's shaking TOOville? What's your 2018 turkey outlook?

IMG_0477.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Fletch

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Don’t know what my area I hunt looks like, but driving thru Kansas, they have a ton of turkey there. If you were heading to another state that may be a go too....

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'll be going out on opening morning with a buddy in Tuscarawas county. Over the weekend we glassed a flock of 60+ birds on a property we can hunt, 12+ Strutter's. Not all of those long beards will be there come turkey season though. I'd say our odds of doubling up are pretty good! I've never doubled up with anyone so that would be awesome! On the way home from shed hunting with my buddy over the weekend I stopped at one of my spots to do a quick shed walk, jumped a flock of about 20 birds, saw at least 8 long beards flapping in the wind as they flew off. Going to start scouting in the mornings after I get back from Illinois.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Don't know what my spot here in Jersey holds this year.. I'm right on the NY line... Last year I had birds going in NY that would not come across the line... Might have been the fact that I saw a Big Fischer both days I was hunting... This year I'll have a secret Sasquatch call..

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Don't know what my spot here in Jersey holds this year.. I'm right on the NY line... Last year I had birds going in NY that would not come across the line... Might have been the fact that I saw a Big Fischer both days I was hunting... This year I'll have a secret Sasquatch call..

I heard you can call em all the way from Erie Pa with that call....

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Things looks pretty normal on my properties. It should be a good year for 2yr olds and Jakes. I'm pretty stoked for my son Austin, he gets to experience the hunt at a new level this youth season. We're having Chad from Sasquatch Calls down to hunt with us for Youth season. I'm hoping for an eventful weekend!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    364.7 KB · Views: 459
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    575.9 KB · Views: 491

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Things looks pretty normal on my properties. It should be a good year for 2yr olds and Jakes. I'm pretty stoked for my son Austin, he gets to experience the hunt at a new level this youth season. We're having Chad from Sasquatch Calls down to hunt with us for Youth season. I'm hoping for an eventful weekend!!!

That will be a good time for sure! I may be putting a .410 together with a red dot for K. Worth a shot anyways!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Going to be a good time!

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Im heading to Kentucky on April 20th. I was invited by the Hopes and Dreams Outfitters for a Veterans event. Im lookin forward to it. Ive only turkey hunted a handful of times with zero success.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I watched a group of 15 Toms fighting/strutting a couple weeks ago and heard more across the hollow. This cool weather seems to have them a little behind which is a great thing for my property. Once breeding is done they are GONE! The last 2 seasons the season has been way too late.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That will be a good time for sure! I may be putting a .410 together with a red dot for K. Worth a shot anyways!

Federal has a 410 TSS load that will help. It's number 9 shot but has the energy equivilent to number 5s due to the TSS density.
HEAVYWEIGHT TSS ,
3-inch
13/16-ounce,
9 shot
1100 fps
$29.95

Reactions: tracker 6

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I'm heading to Tennessee April 11th again. Gonna go a little later like I did last year seems like the birds were broke up a little more when we were there last year. We killed 5 in 3 days last year.hope for a repeat. If my lease goes thru in Kentucky I'll be hunting there a few weekends if the wife let's me. I haven't shot an Ohio bird for a few seasons because of work and always calling for someone else but I just got in on the property behind my house that just sold and it's loaded with birds. So I'm gonna hit it hard. Between that and the property across the street I'm hoping to get a few early hunts in before work.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Hoping to get out a little more this year. Last year was kind of a bust. I think I did 1 day during youth and took my son out the first Saturday of the regular season and that was it. Weather was awful as was the hunting. I hate driving so far to hunt turkeys and we never have a chance to scout (youth sports are a time vacuum).

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I hit the farm up yesterday after my interview to decompress. Walked our eastern property line to our NE corner, then circled back through our oak flat. If I sat there all day today, I'd have a chance to kill a bird. They're roosting in a big white oak on the property line, then either pitching into the ridgetop bean field and eventually circling back through the oak flat to roost, or they're pitching straight to the oak flat and moving out from there. I'm sure this will change by April 23rd, but I'll move a cam over there this weekend to keep tabs on them until then.