Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Total Solar Eclipse over Ohio on April 8, 2024

Stressless

Keene, OH
Link below has a video of the path of totality across TOO and to the hole shebang from Mexico to Newfoundland.

1708400186035.jpeg

I've only seen one totality, caught it crossing TN Aug 21st 2017. Definitely worth the time to get to an area with clear view of the sky to the SW, the shadow coming at you..

If you get into the totality shadow it's amazing how dark it gets, this was a small fire I made before the eclipse to get a baseline on the brightness, you could just make out the flames in bright daylight - 5mins later no clouds, 13:24 in the afternoon in Aug.
20170821_132345.jpg

20170821_132509.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Am I the only one who just doesn't get the fascination with this? There are social media posts talking about how crazy it is going to be with traffic and people traveling to see it. Suggestions to stock up on food and gasoline have been mentioned like it is a blizzard or Y2K unknown stuff. The news has been hyping it up for months. They have interviewed people out of the country who are traveling to our area to watch it.

Talk me into this thing. I'm not following the hype. Am I missing something?

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Well considering that last total eclipse visible in Ohio was 1806 and the next one after this one isn't until 2099, it is kind of a big deal. We witnessed the one in 2017 in western North Carolina and will be coming to Ohio for this one. It is a really cool experience to see, it is also extremely rare to be close enough to see 2 total eclipses in a life time. Here is a photo that took of the one in 2017.
IMG_8447.jpeg

Stressless

Keene, OH
@hickslawns it's just a PSA of an outdoors phenomenon happening in Ohio's backyard. When "people" congregate all bets are off on behavior, in the era of Social Media it seems hype and hyperbole are the norm. Ohio isn't the best location due to length of totality or the chance of cloud cover.

I kinda like the history as Clay mentioned, the last time Ohio was witness to a total eclipse of the sun was June 16, 1806. The 1806 eclipse has gone down in history as Tecumseh's Eclipse, as described in the Frontiersman. Standing in the path knowing scientifically how it happens then mentally rewinding the clock 218 years before even kerosene lighting in Ohio, one can grasp how powerful that prediction was.

The sun being blotted out, it tickles the lizard part of our brain, part of that deep primeval response that for me is adjacent to my feeling when hunting. Just my $.02.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Am I the only one who just doesn't get the fascination with this? There are social media posts talking about how crazy it is going to be with traffic and people traveling to see it. Suggestions to stock up on food and gasoline have been mentioned like it is a blizzard or Y2K unknown stuff. The news has been hyping it up for months. They have interviewed people out of the country who are traveling to our area to watch it.

Talk me into this thing. I'm not following the hype. Am I missing something?
Something to focus their attention on other than the shit show all around them….

• Haha
Reactions: hickslawns

Bigcountry40

I wonder if the Walleye will bite during the eclipse? Only one way to find out. Most of the schools in our area are shutting down for the day, I was scheduled to umpire a high school game that day, it has been cancelled.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@hickslawns it's just a PSA of an outdoors phenomenon happening in Ohio's backyard. When "people" congregate all bets are off on behavior, in the era of Social Media it seems hype and hyperbole are the norm. Ohio isn't the best location due to length of totality or the chance of cloud cover.

I kinda like the history as Clay mentioned, the last time Ohio was witness to a total eclipse of the sun was June 16, 1806. The 1806 eclipse has gone down in history as Tecumseh's Eclipse, as described in the Frontiersman. Standing in the path knowing scientifically how it happens then mentally rewinding the clock 218 years before even kerosene lighting in Ohio, one can grasp how powerful that prediction was.

The sun being blotted out, it tickles the lizard part of our brain, part of that deep primeval response that for me is adjacent to my feeling when hunting. Just my $.02.
Ahhhh, I was hoping someone would bring up the historical significance of the 1806 eclipse. 👏

@hickslawns whether or not it turns out to be a problematic event affecting travel, food supplies, fuel supplies, etc really doesn’t change or diminish the historical significance of it. There are few things in this world that are actually, truly “once in a lifetime” events, and this is one of them. Of course the media is going to hype it up. Of course the county EMA offices are going to prep for it. That’s what they do, prepare for the worst. Regardless, it’s still a rare phenomenon that we should behold. Just put yourself in the shoes of people living here during the last one in 1806. Can you imagine the wonder, the amazement, the fear going through their simple minds? It had to be wild.

Stressless

Keene, OH
We all have a thirst for wonder. It's a deeply human quality. Science and religion are both bound up with it. What I'm saying is, you don't have to make stories up, you don't have to exaggerate. There's wonder and awe enough in the real world. Nature's a lot better at inventing wonders than we are.
Carl Sagan

Last edited:

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Looking forward to this event to share with family and friends. We are less than 1/2 mile of the middle of the line and fall in the 3hr 54min area in the map above. If anyone is going to be in the area and wants to come hang out, you are more than welcome to spend your afternoon at Notta-Lotta Acres.
So you are saying I can set up my camper and bum off of you ? And 3hr 54min would be a long time to be in the dark. Lol