Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tow rig/daily driver

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
What you know, I just learned somethin new moments ago, which further confirms my reasons as to why I try to stick with known motors if I can.

These new motors of today, hell, you damn near need to be astrophysics to work on them, which doesn't work for me at all. The simpler, the better in my world when it comes to mechanical horsepower under the hood. I believe the entire automotive industry is trying secure their future with these extremely sophisticated powerplants within these new automobiles nowadays.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Everything else was OK. I believe there is or will be a class action lawsuit.
Back in early 80’s they had issues with their (GM) cams. Specifically the 305 motor. Came back they’d pay for the parts, but owner had too pay the labor. We called them paper cam’s because the heat treating wasn’t done correctly.

Reactions: GoetsTalon

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
My 09 had a lifter collapse when I had it from the AFM. I did a bunch of research and found a guy on YouTube that shows you how to release them using an old filed off pushrod and a hammer. Was definitely a nerve wrecking task , I used a long screwdriver that I cut off at a 45 . Sure enough smacked that sucker hard and out come the screwdriver flying when the lifter released. Then I followed his instructions and took the vlom unit apart and cut out all the solenoids, recut the gasket , threaded and plugged the oil passage ways for the high pressure oil. After I put it back together I had a bucket full of parts that were no longer in the motor. Shipped the computer off to Kentucky to have it flashed where it would never go back into 4 cyl mode so it was v8 all the time. Never had an ounce of trouble out of the truck for another 55k miles before I sold it. Couldn't afford to do the correct fix of new cam and all new solid lifters at the time so gave that guys trick a try. Definitely a bad flaw from gm and they're pushing hard on the lawsuit for certain years. Alot of guys had their trucks fail within 20k miles. Good luck on the repair 👍

Last edited:

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
What you know, I just learned somethin new moments ago, which further confirms my reasons as to why I try to stick with known motors if I can.

These new motors of today, hell, you damn near need to be astrophysics to work on them, which doesn't work for me at all. The simpler, the better in my world when it comes to mechanical horsepower under the hood. I believe the entire automotive industry is trying secure their future with these extremely sophisticated powerplants within these new automobiles nowadays.

All in the name of higher fuel mileage numbers for the cafe rules.

Reactions: Wildlife

P8riot

Carbon, In
Dang that's scary knowing they make crap like that. I dread the day I need another truck. All these stop and start models. Thats wreaking havoc on the starter/flywheel and other components!

And this quest for more power is screwing them too. I have a 2013 F150 with the 5.0 My brother bought a 2018 or 19 and they screwed with the intake and timing to try to get more power. His 5.0 eats a quart of oil every couple thousand miles because of the timing. Ford calls it "normal". My truck never loses a drop. I have been so lucky. 97,000 flawless miles. I never want a new truck. 2013 was around the time they came out with the Ecobust. The salesman thought I was crazy for not wanting it. I told him it was too much crap to break. Boy was I right!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike and Big_Holla

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
Dang that's scary knowing they make crap like that. I dread the day I need another truck. All these stop and start models. Thats wreaking havoc on the starter/flywheel and other components!

And this quest for more power is screwing them too. I have a 2013 F150 with the 5.0 My brother bought a 2018 or 19 and they screwed with the intake and timing to try to get more power. His 5.0 eats a quart of oil every couple thousand miles because of the timing. Ford calls it "normal". My truck never loses a drop. I have been so lucky. 97,000 flawless miles. I never want a new truck. 2013 was around the time they came out with the Ecobust. The salesman thought I was crazy for not wanting it. I told him it was too much crap to break. Boy was I right!
I went back to a 1996 Silverado . I can't stand the stupid stuff on the new trucks . Sensor here sensor there yada yada yada. Plus my 96 has less rust than any of my newer ones did and it's much easier to work on. Had to put a water pump on last month , took me less than a half hour 😁👍. I do keep the wife in a newer SUV for safety and comfort features for the kids.

P8riot

Carbon, In
I went back to a 1996 Silverado . I can't stand the stupid stuff on the new trucks . Sensor here sensor there yada yada yada. Plus my 96 has less rust than any of my newer ones did and it's much easier to work on. Had to put a water pump on last month , took me less than a half hour 😁👍. I do keep the wife in a newer SUV for safety and comfort features for the kids.
I had a beautiful 96 Silverado. I even repaired the dreaded manifold leak. Damn Chevy used a manifold that didn't quite fit right...what should we do? Goop it with RTV sealant. I upgraded the fuel injection with a new spider system. It was starting to nickel and dime me with standard repairs and I had 2 trucks. Sold it and I saw it a couple times with 2 different owners. I regret selling it.

20180330_103614.jpg

20180330_103638.jpg

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
I had a beautiful 96 Silverado. I even repaired the dreaded manifold leak. Damn Chevy used a manifold that didn't quite fit right...what should we do? Goop it with RTV sealant. I upgraded the fuel injection with a new spider system. It was starting to nickel and dime me with standard repairs and I had 2 trucks. Sold it and I saw it a couple times with 2 different owners. I regret selling it.

View attachment 171778
View attachment 171779
She's purdy! My last one was a deep green ext cap long bed . The gmt 400s have always been my favorite. I'm on my third one here's my current . I need to get the passenger rocker done on it. The PO put these western style bars on and the only thing they're good at is holding water
KIMG1658.JPG

KIMG1616.JPG