Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tree saddle

Buckkillr

Athens
Nice work
Something I learned from those, the round tube one is angled down a little, my thinking was that's the angle your sitting at when hanging from a tether and I absolutely hate it. No way of standing up on it if needed and it makes my knees hurt, not sure why but it does

whitetailjunky3

Traded my climber in October for a tethrd phantom set up. I will never look back best decision I ever made. Lightweight, comfortable, and can get in any tree I want. I spent several all day sits in it thru end of oct thru nov. There is a bit of a learning curve at least for me there was. I use a tethrd platform and 3 hawk sticks with aiders on the bottom of each. I’ve read some of Eberhart’s books and there is plenty of info on YouTube. As far as comfort goes the phantom has adjustable bridge so it it starts pinching you can adjust it. I also suggest getting versa straps for fast hanging of sticks and platform and ropeman 1s for tether and lineman belt. Cost a little more but well worth it. Any questions let me know. Here’s my set up.

Buckkillr

Athens
Traded my climber in October for a tethrd phantom set up. I will never look back best decision I ever made. Lightweight, comfortable, and can get in any tree I want. I spent several all day sits in it thru end of oct thru nov. There is a bit of a learning curve at least for me there was. I use a tethrd platform and 3 hawk sticks with aiders on the bottom of each. I’ve read some of Eberhart’s books and there is plenty of info on YouTube. As far as comfort goes the phantom has adjustable bridge so it it starts pinching you can adjust it. I also suggest getting versa straps for fast hanging of sticks and platform and ropeman 1s for tether and lineman belt. Cost a little more but well worth it. Any questions let me know. Here’s my set up.

I'd say that was a great trade, nice!

I have the vrs straps and they are quick and convenient but I swear every tree is one loop off and the ladder never sets quite tight. One ladder set still has them but the other ladder I put cam cleats on it and that was a huge plus at speed and of course it always adjusts just right. Only down fall is $20 a piece + rope

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201231-085255~2.png
    Screenshot_20201231-085255~2.png
    371.9 KB · Views: 124

Buckkillr

Athens

After thought, keep an eye on the platform at the level adjuster bolt, seen a few that cracked there but the good thing is tethrd will warranty it if it does from my understanding

whitetailjunky3

I'd say that was a great trade, nice!

I have the vrs straps and they are quick and convenient but I swear every tree is one loop off and the ladder never sets quite tight. One ladder set still has them but the other ladder I put cam cleats on it and that was a huge plus at speed and of course it always adjusts just right. Only down fall is $20 a piece + rope

I’ve looked into them. I know what you mean about one loop off but I’ve made them work lol.

Reactions: Buckkillr

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

Do you like the Hawk sticks? I’ve read a bunch of people complaining about noise.

whitetailjunky3

Do you like the Hawk sticks? I’ve read a bunch of people complaining about noise.

I’ve never had a problem I personally love them. I’ve heard people having issues with them when they first came out. Me and 2 of my buddy’s run the helium’s and never had any issues. I’m in north west ohio of your close and want to check them out just shoot me a message. I think some people online complain just to complain kinda like the weight thing lol.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
This is the platform that I came up with. I don't really have the equipment to fabricate anything fancy and I felt the need to make one. It's just at $20 piece of 1/4" thick, 12" long 3"x5" aluminum angle that I slotted to fit in the center groove of a hawk helium mini. I added tread grip and camo wrap cling tape. Rated hardware attaches it to the stick. It's solid and should work just fine.
IMG_20210101_120710403.jpg
IMG_20210101_120716501.jpg
IMG_20210101_110242178.jpg
IMG_20210101_110228082.jpg

whitetailjunky3

This is the platform that I came up with. I don't really have the equipment to fabricate anything fancy and I felt the need to make one. It's just at $20 piece of 1/4" thick, 12" long 3"x5" aluminum angle that I slotted to fit in the center groove of a hawk helium mini. I added tread grip and camo wrap cling tape. Rated hardware attaches it to the stick. It's solid and should work just fine.View attachment 117776View attachment 117777View attachment 117778View attachment 117779

Looks good let me know how it works out

Reactions: Mike

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Yup, running the tethrd phantom, predator platform, and bolts. Working on a climbing system for public land and owners who won't let ya run bolts.

Buckkillr

Athens
Yup, running the tethrd phantom, predator platform, and bolts. Working on a climbing system for public land and owners who won't let ya run bolts.
Unless you can find a good used set of ladders then you can't hardly beat the price of the hawk helium's. I bought full length sets on sale for $99

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Unless you can find a good used set of ladders then you can't hardly beat the price of the hawk helium's. I bought full length sets on sale for $99
I sold my helium's, I am going lighter than that, that's why I am running bolts on private land, just have to prep trees in the spring. Also looking at tree gaffs for a true run and gun. Then maybe using my platform and combining it with some sort of aider and doing the one stick method but using the platform instead of a stick for public land.

Buckkillr

Athens
I sold my helium's, I am going lighter than that, that's why I am running bolts on private land, just have to prep trees in the spring. Also looking at tree gaffs for a true run and gun. Then maybe using my platform and combining it with some sort of aider and doing the one stick method but using the platform instead of a stick for public land.
Gotcha! I tried one sticking, probably need more practice but I was even slower LoL. Could even hang a aider off the platform I reckon

This is the platform that I came up with. I don't really have the equipment to fabricate anything fancy and I felt the need to make one. It's just at $20 piece of 1/4" thick, 12" long 3"x5" aluminum angle that I slotted to fit in the center groove of a hawk helium mini. I added tread grip and camo wrap cling tape. Rated hardware attaches it to the stick. It's solid and should work just fine.View attachment 117776View attachment 117777View attachment 117778View attachment 117779
Looks great! The designer in me says to chamfer or round those corners to keep them from stabbing you if you were to lose footing.

Reactions: Mike

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Here is my setup that I haven't tried yet.
Treehopper recon w/pouches and paracord accessory loops for my sticks
Cruzr tether and lineman's belt
Tethrd HYS strap, not pictured
Hawk heliums, 4x20" with amsteel daisy chains and DIY platform
Webbing aider with water knot, sewn tag ends and sewn leather stirrup
Paracord pull rope
Full Rut Pack that I already had

I'm sure something will change once I try this out.
IMG_20210126_144022341.jpg
IMG_20210126_145000042.jpg

Last edited: