Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

trying new heads this year

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
so after listening to milo talk up the stinger buzzcuts at the bowshoot last week, and after seeing them in action on a few hunting shows I am going to give them a try this year.
Last year I was using muzzy three blade and when I shot my doe I was a little worried about the fact that I couldnt find any blood. They blew through her like a knife through hot butter, but when redcloud and I looked for a bloodtrail niether of us could find the first drop. luckily I heard her crash, and had a good idea where she was.

As far as tuning goes, The muzzy's hit low compared to field points, I had to use my 20 yard pin at 10 yards, 30 yard pin at 20 so on and so forth. the buzzcuts are the opposite, they seem to have a flatter flight. I have to use my 10 yard pin out to about 20 yards and my twenty yard pin at 30 yards. yesterday I shot three arrows at 30 yards using my 20 yard pin and all three hit dead center what I was aiming at. So far I like them. I need to get to a range so I can shoot at 40 and 50 yards to get everything completely dialed in.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
so after listening to milo talk up the stinger buzzcuts at the bowshoot last week, and after seeing them in action on a few hunting shows I am going to give them a try this year.
Last year I was using muzzy three blade and when I shot my doe I was a little worried about the fact that I couldnt find any blood. They blew through her like a knife through hot butter, but when redcloud and I looked for a bloodtrail niether of us could find the first drop. luckily I heard her crash, and had a good idea where she was.

As far as tuning goes, The muzzy's hit low compared to field points, I had to use my 20 yard pin at 10 yards, 30 yard pin at 20 so on and so forth. the buzzcuts are the opposite, they seem to have a flatter flight. I have to use my 10 yard pin out to about 20 yards and my twenty yard pin at 30 yards. yesterday I shot three arrows at 30 yards using my 20 yard pin and all three hit dead center what I was aiming at. So far I like them. I need to get to a range so I can shoot at 40 and 50 yards to get everything completely dialed in.

You might do some paper tuning on your bow and make sure your rest is on. If you rest isn't perfect L/R and U/D, your broadheads will always hit different than your field points. If I'm thinking right, you "chase" your broadheads. If they are hitting low compared to field tips, you adjust your rest down, in small increments until your field points and broadheads are hitting the exact same. If they get further apart by chasing the broadhead, adjust the rest the opposite way. I just can't remember which way it is. lol Check that out first before you go adjusting your sights for your broadhead flight.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Greg's right.... It's usually not the broadhead, it's the bow that causes your BH's to hit differently than field points. If the bow is properly tuned, you should be able to shoot any broadhead out of it with good results, as long as the spin test is true on the arrow shaft. Paper tuning is a good start, but do yourself a favor and do some walk-back tuning as well. ArcheryTalk has some great threads that talk about walk-back tuning in detail. That being said, I've never cared for muzzys either. The blood trail is just not that great with them, IMO.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
ante lets get together with redclod and we will go over a few things about those heads as well as go through some bow setup things to put you on teh right track. you should be able to shoot 50 yards with both broadheads and field points when we get done. If not dinner is on you.:pickle:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
TOO bad their not legal in washington.

Why are they illegal in washington?

ante lets get together with redclod and we will go over a few things about those heads as well as go through some bow setup things to put you on teh right track. you should be able to shoot 50 yards with both broadheads and field points when we get done. If not dinner is on you.

sounds good to me, I dont get on here as often as redcloud so you guys can work out the time and place, sooner would be better than later. especially if we have to talk him into using a peep!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Why are they illegal in washington?

sounds good to me, I dont get on here as often as redcloud so you guys can work out the time and place, sooner would be better than later. especially if we have to talk him into using a peep!

there will be no talkin to "fear the beard" about the peep we will get it done. I might have some time this weekend if RC can get his night owl ass out of bed..

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
if its noon your bringin lunch. dam got over 3/4 of muh shit done by that time of the day. afternoon could be good as my brats take a nap..

Well, since you have 3/4 of ur stuffs done by noon I figur you could make us sum lunch Dang !!!

Your younguns can come out and shoot again if they are awake and want to :) .

Milo

Tatonka guide.
you guys wanna meet at cardinal and do dis? heck no on the kids i want piece and quiet...they still need a couple years..i will pack my press and arrah school stuff and we can get down and boogie

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
you guys wanna meet at cardinal and do dis? heck no on the kids i want piece and quiet...they still need a couple years..i will pack my press and arrah school stuff and we can get down and boogie

Sounds like a good plan. We can do Cardinal. We going swimmin aftewards lol.

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
:smiley_crush: uh i will call you about that :smiley_chuck:

Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I can have ALL my stuff done by noon, slacker. lol.:smiley_crocodile:

noon is good, what day? friday is best for me,
saturday would take some doin,
sunday is out. family reunion.