Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tulster Kydex Holster Review

The more I carry a gun, the more my my preferences have evolved. I started with an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0, which is a relatively large hybrid dual-clip IWB holster. It's nice... It supports the weight very well, but I dislike the bulkiness and it's somewhat of a hassle to put on compared to smaller, single-clip IWB holsters. I've found that I prefer the quickness and versatility of the single-clip holsters, and the difference in comfort, at least for me, is negligible.

So then I moved on to a Foxx Holsters IWB single-clip hybrid. Leather back, kydex front. Nice lightweight holster, works well anywhere around the hip. But then I decided to experiment with appendix carry. At first it wasn't bad, but after a long day this holster was killing me. It's simply not made for this style.

Fast forward to today... I received from Amazon a fully kydex single-clip holster made by Tulster. Specifically, this is the Tulster "Profile." I spent a good bit of time searching and googling for recommended holsters for AIWB. The results were pretty variable, which I expected. I mean, there's a million brands available and holsters are such a personal thing. But one brand that kept coming up time after time was Tulster. It was highly touted, but on average, also way more expensive than some other very similar brands. In pictures, the cheaper ones just didn't appear as smooth or as high in quality. I firmly believe that you get what you pay for, so I pulled the trigger on the Tulster.

Right out of the box, I was immediately impressed by the craftsmanship. I know I know... It's just kydex. But I could instantly tell whoever put this holster together paid careful attention to detail. There is not one single cosmetic flaw that my eyes can see. And not one sharp edge anywhere. It's smooth as butter no matter where you look. It's also very minimalistic, having just enough material to get the job done. I am a huge fan of that approach... The more I carry, the more I can't stand "bulk."

This holster features adjustable cant and also adjustable retention. The company ships it with a business card, a nice Tulster decal, a small portion of Vibratite thread locker, and of course a liability statement. Other than wearing it around the house for a bit, I can't speak in depth as to all-day comfort or ruggedness, so that will have to wait. But as of right now I'm very happy with this purchase.

In comparison with the hybrid IWB made by Foxx Holsters (similar price point).

Comments

"J"

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Columbiana County
What kind of guns are y'all carrying? It will ease your mind about accidental discharge if you research how these guns work. A Glock for example has like three internal safeties on the firing pin. The gun CANNOT go off unless the trigger is pulled. In a good holster, this can't happen.
Shield 9MM
It’s a mental thing plus it’s more comfortable at the 4-5 position

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Shield 9MM
It’s a mental thing plus it’s more comfortable at the 4-5 position
No, I got that part. You gotta carry it where it's comfortable. I was addressing the others who fear shooting themselves in the dick. I was that way originally too. But most modern striker-fire pistols, Shield included, have two or three passive safeties that make firing without actually squeezing the trigger virtually impossible. Once you understand how the gun functions, the "mental thing" goes away. Or at least, it should.

"J"

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Columbiana County
Well it’s been about a month and a half and no complaints so far other then the screws worked themselves loose once so far and I tightened them up and if it happens again I’ll loktite them the next time.
Comfort wise, I have to feel for it periodically to see if it’s still there... Even driving wearing it you barely feel it.
All in all very pleased with it so far. Thanks for bringing this post up JB glad I bought it so far.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well it’s been about a month and a half and no complaints so far other then the screws worked themselves loose once so far and I tightened them up and if it happens again I’ll loktite them the next time.
Comfort wise, I have to feel for it periodically to see if it’s still there... Even driving wearing it you barely feel it.
All in all very pleased with it so far. Thanks for bringing this post up JB glad I bought it so far.
Great to hear, J! I'm glad you like it. I always wear mine for a week or two to figure out what clip angle I like best, then I loktite all the screws. Just a little better peace of mind.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Tulster number 3 came in the mail today. This one for a gen 5 Glock 26. This is probably going to replace my Shield for the majority of my carrying hours. Same footprint as the shield but just a little thicker since it's a double stack.

While I'm on the subject of product reviews, I have to give credit to these Talon grips as well. These things are really sweet.

"J"

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Columbiana County
Well it’s been 6 months of carrying with the Tulster and I haven’t changed my mind any on this thing... Just got back from being out shopping and then dinner with the wife. 6+ hours of wearing and most of the time I can’t actually feel that I’m wearing it. Almost too comfortable if that can be....

Thanks again JB for the heads up on this holster....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio
Might try one for the Glock 26. Tried to order one for the Airweight. Not offered for that model. I think the ol 642 would be perfect for appendix carry. Darn shame.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well it’s been 6 months of carrying with the Tulster and I haven’t changed my mind any on this thing... Just got back from being out shopping and then dinner with the wife. 6+ hours of wearing and most of the time I can’t actually feel that I’m wearing it. Almost too comfortable if that can be....

Thanks again JB for the heads up on this holster....
Glad to help. Although it sucks I had to go through about $300 in holsters before finding Tulster. Lol

Wore mine today while out on several jobsites and 4 hours behind the wheel. Very comfortable and easy to forget about it being there. Simple and effective.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Might try one for the Glock 26. Tried to order one for the Airweight. Not offered for that model. I think the ol 642 would be perfect for appendix carry. Darn shame.
You should've said something down at Bellefontaine. Had mine in the truck. You could have test drove it for a few hours. My 26 is all I carry anymore. I can't remember the last time I picked up my Shield.