Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkeys spring 23'

Sauger

Warsaw
I am, way less birds here since I have bought this place. I have not even heard a bird since the week after youth. Thats going to 3 different properties and while shroom hunting state ground.

Reactions: Boarhead and giles

Sauger

Warsaw
What pisses me off the most is the state knows there is a problem. You don't drop the bag limit and say the population is healthy. They need to get it together and make some drastic changes. For starters the bullshit phone check in...who out there thinks that those numbers are accurate along with the deer kill? They made it to easy to bypass the check in. They need to do away with the fall turkey season and the spring afternoon hunts.
I am sure I will ruffle some feathers on this topic and everyone has an opinion. This is just mine.
I also don't want to take away from those that got a bird, a big congrats. That's never my intention.

Last edited:

Bigcountry40

Filled my tag last night, killed a bearded hen. Killed it about 5 minutes after my final post from yesterday. I fell into a creek carrying bird out and completely soaked my bird, then it started to rain pretty hard. I got home immediately cleaned the bird and never took a picture it looked like hell. I ground the entire bird mixed with bacon and made burgers tonight. It was a good spring.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Filled my tag last night, killed a bearded hen. Killed it about 5 minutes after my final post from yesterday. I fell into a creek carrying bird out and completely soaked my bird, then it started to rain pretty hard. I got home immediately cleaned the bird and never took a picture it looked like hell. I ground the entire bird mixed with bacon and made burgers tonight. It was a good spring.
Way to get it done.. Good thing you had your $50 hat on...

Wiley E Coyote

I've been hunting turkeys for close to 40 years and I've seen times with more turkeys and I remember times with a lot less! Populations go up and down. It's all about the weather at hatch time for consecutive years. The state says the last two years have been desent hatches which may be true by all the Jake sightings I've heard about. Let's pray for another good one this year and next!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I've been hunting turkeys for close to 40 years and I've seen times with more turkeys and I remember times with a lot less! Populations go up and down. It's all about the weather at hatch time for consecutive years. The state says the last two years have been desent hatches which may be true by all the Jake sightings I've heard about. Let's pray for another good one this year and next!

I would agree with this in our area. The local flocks have doubled in size the last 2yrs. and I have never seen this many jakes.

Reactions: Isaacorps