Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkeys spring 23'

Sauger

Warsaw
I got you all. And I know it's always area specific. I was venting last night. This has been a strange year and alot of the hens got taken care of early and the toms moved on.
The hatch around here has been ok not gonna say great. Predators are a big issue now more than ever and my area has seen hunting triple with the sales of property.
I still think the state has work to do on both deer and turkey but they won't and that is my biggest gripe.

Bigcountry40

I would agree with this in our area. The local flocks have doubled in size the last 2yrs. and I have never seen this many jakes.
I’ve seen more turkeys in Seneca County this year and the past few than I ever have before. I got friends from my original county (Erie/Sandusky county line) saying the same. I think there has been a drastic increase in both deer and Turkey in some of these north western counties where growing up we rarely seen deer and there were no turkeys. The east and southern counties that everyone flocked to for hunting opportunities continue to decrease in numbers

Reactions: giles and 5Cent

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
IMG_7970.jpeg

He had an 8am class. He was on time to give his presentation.
I have been neck deep in birds. I have been unsuccessful in getting one to go full stupid and come in to my decoys so I can put an arrow through one. I’m done. I’m taking a gun tomorrow. I’ve had as good of a season as ever, really, but I’m tired of getting up. Hopefully tomorrow a gobbler will be as silly as they have been as that is silly enough to catch lead.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
View attachment 177977
I have been neck deep in birds. I have been unsuccessful in getting one to go full stupid and come in to my decoys so I can put an arrow through one. I’m done. I’m taking a gun tomorrow. I’ve had as good of a season as ever, really, but I’m tired of getting up. Hopefully tomorrow a gobbler will be as silly as they have been as that is silly enough to catch lead.
That boy is a killa! Congrats to both of you.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

jkraftjr

View attachment 177977

LonewolfNopack

The woods
View attachment 177977
Fine young man as well as bird. Im really proud of your son Brock, in many ways.

Well, he did it to me again. I was in his bedroom before first light, and he gobbled at least 20 times on the roost. I heard him fly down, he gobbled two more times, and went dead quiet. He does not respond to calling this bird is becoming my white whale lol.
My dad was the best at those turkeys with his patience. He would sit all day and just occasionally scratch the leaves and let out a few purrs and clucks very sparingly. Sooner or later that gobbler will find himself alone and make his way around to him, even if on the other side of the big holla. I'd bet most of his turkeys he killed that way.

Big H

Medina
Well, he did it to me again. I was in his bedroom before first light, and he gobbled at least 20 times on the roost. I heard him fly down, he gobbled two more times, and went dead quiet. He does not respond to calling this bird is becoming my white whale lol.
Just need to be there on the "right" day. I have killed several birds on the last morning over the years. One year all it took was a new call with a couple of yelps, and just scratching leaves and he marched right in. I had an old push button call I hadn't even carried on a hunt for years and pushed it a few times and he came unglued. Same damn bird I had messed with for two weeks and had thrown every call I had in the vest at him. I knew it was the same bird because he roosted on the same ridge and did the same thing every morning.