Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Vaccines for wild animals

P8riot

Carbon, In

Greeeeeeat! Is it me or is there a very unusual amount of dead raccoons on the sides of highways that dont look hit/smashed and look as if they almost just dropped dead? I have driven between western PA and OH lately and I noticed it and even my wife said something. Some were clearly hit with dna evidence everywhere! But most looked like they just died.

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
Extra raccoons equate to extra road kill raccoons. I don't think there is any conspiracy theory stuff here. Just less hunters.
Agreed. I have anywhere from 3-5 in the front yard at night. I only know one person that still hunts them. I wouldn't mind getting back into it if I can ever land a day shift job that's decent around here

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Greeeeeeat! Is it me or is there a very unusual amount of dead raccoons on the sides of highways that dont look hit/smashed and look as if they almost just dropped dead? I have driven between western PA and OH lately and I noticed it and even my wife said something. Some were clearly hit with dna evidence everywhere! But most looked like they just died.

That article was written by an enviro nutjob. They've been using air-dropped rabbits vacs for decades to control rabies. IIRC the ODNR actively does it also. The raccoon population is out of control now, especially in suburban areas where they have plenty of garbage to raid.